30 yrs ago I refinished floors with bar top finish because of cats-found it scratched terribly when they ran thru house. 10 years ago used combo stain/satin finish - now found when they threw up "hairballs" the stomach acid stained and lightened the floor area. What is the BEST finish to put on to help both of these situations? Don't need to sand floors, but simply stain and apply top finish - need something hard to withstand cats.
You will need something hard like clear gloss or satin Fullerplast, or a Polyester finish. Be aware it is very expensive, and not easy to apply, so it is also expensive to apply. That is part of the price of owning dogs and cats. You can either let the cats dictate how the house looks and smells or pay the price to own a cat. Dogs can be even harder on floors. I try to keep area rugs in places the dogs travel, but dogs are not like cats and won't usually run along walls and other odd places and area rug won't cover.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!