Documents needed for building a new home
My name is Daniel, and i have been thinking about building my own home,in Maine, for some time now and every time I inquire about what documents are needed I always get mixed answers. Can you help me?
Thank you very much for your time.
My husband and I are about to break ground on a new home in Pennsylvania. Even though we are in different states, I may be able to give you a rough idea. Here is what we have needed:
1 Percolation test (for sewage and drainage field)
1 Well Permit
1 Building Permit
1 Driveway Permit
Lots of plotted plans and copies of the blueprints and lots of money! I can tell you that if with our septic and well permit, it was issued by our county board of health, you may want to begin there because if you are going to have onsite septic you usually can't obtain a building permit (or any other) without it. In Pennsylvania, we have townships (municipalities) so that is who issues our building and driveway permit.
A lot yourself plenty of money for these things. To give you an idea, our septic permit is going to cost $400.00, driveway will cost $20.00. In our township, building permits cost $20.00 per 100 square feet of the house. Don't get caught of guard, be prepared because you don't want these things to get in the way of your closing.
Another thing that you may want to know (* I didn't know this before we got started) is that many times with new construction (*We didn't own our lot, we purchased it) you go to closing before ground is broken. This means that you don't make mortgage payments, but you are expected to cover the interest on the money that has been drawn up to date.
It can be a real pain, but I feel like it is WELL worth it. New construction homes have been known to appreciate by thousands very quickly after they are built. Check out your builders well, and give it careful planning and you'll be just fine!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda