Documents needed for building a new home
My name is Daniel, and i have been thinking about building my own home,in Maine, for some time now and every time I inquire about what documents are needed I always get mixed answers. Can you help me?
Thank you very much for your time.
My husband and I are about to break ground on a new home in Pennsylvania. Even though we are in different states, I may be able to give you a rough idea. Here is what we have needed:
1 Percolation test (for sewage and drainage field)
1 Well Permit
1 Building Permit
1 Driveway Permit
Lots of plotted plans and copies of the blueprints and lots of money! I can tell you that if with our septic and well permit, it was issued by our county board of health, you may want to begin there because if you are going to have onsite septic you usually can't obtain a building permit (or any other) without it. In Pennsylvania, we have townships (municipalities) so that is who issues our building and driveway permit.
A lot yourself plenty of money for these things. To give you an idea, our septic permit is going to cost $400.00, driveway will cost $20.00. In our township, building permits cost $20.00 per 100 square feet of the house. Don't get caught of guard, be prepared because you don't want these things to get in the way of your closing.
Another thing that you may want to know (* I didn't know this before we got started) is that many times with new construction (*We didn't own our lot, we purchased it) you go to closing before ground is broken. This means that you don't make mortgage payments, but you are expected to cover the interest on the money that has been drawn up to date.
It can be a real pain, but I feel like it is WELL worth it. New construction homes have been known to appreciate by thousands very quickly after they are built. Check out your builders well, and give it careful planning and you'll be just fine!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes