Documents needed for building a new home
My name is Daniel, and i have been thinking about building my own home,in Maine, for some time now and every time I inquire about what documents are needed I always get mixed answers. Can you help me?
Thank you very much for your time.
My husband and I are about to break ground on a new home in Pennsylvania. Even though we are in different states, I may be able to give you a rough idea. Here is what we have needed:
1 Percolation test (for sewage and drainage field)
1 Well Permit
1 Building Permit
1 Driveway Permit
Lots of plotted plans and copies of the blueprints and lots of money! I can tell you that if with our septic and well permit, it was issued by our county board of health, you may want to begin there because if you are going to have onsite septic you usually can't obtain a building permit (or any other) without it. In Pennsylvania, we have townships (municipalities) so that is who issues our building and driveway permit.
A lot yourself plenty of money for these things. To give you an idea, our septic permit is going to cost $400.00, driveway will cost $20.00. In our township, building permits cost $20.00 per 100 square feet of the house. Don't get caught of guard, be prepared because you don't want these things to get in the way of your closing.
Another thing that you may want to know (* I didn't know this before we got started) is that many times with new construction (*We didn't own our lot, we purchased it) you go to closing before ground is broken. This means that you don't make mortgage payments, but you are expected to cover the interest on the money that has been drawn up to date.
It can be a real pain, but I feel like it is WELL worth it. New construction homes have been known to appreciate by thousands very quickly after they are built. Check out your builders well, and give it careful planning and you'll be just fine!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!