Is there a book or resource where I could evaluate federal and georgian farmhouses in measured drawings? I want to build a farmhouse to blend with those in rural Berks County Pa and cannot find a good reference. Everything is either just pictures without a scale or molding drawings without the house. I want to determine the window fenestration and get the proportion worked out, but I don't have the original documents to work from, I don't have access to any original homes, and I don't know any architects or archive people to track the materials I want. Any help is a plus. thank you.
It is hard to dewsign and build to exactly the same proportions now because we generally need to use thicker structural members and insulkation packages to meet modern codes. That makes it quite a challenge. For instance, the narrow doghouse dormers of old times are not possible in the same sizing today.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide