Is there a book or resource where I could evaluate federal and georgian farmhouses in measured drawings? I want to build a farmhouse to blend with those in rural Berks County Pa and cannot find a good reference. Everything is either just pictures without a scale or molding drawings without the house. I want to determine the window fenestration and get the proportion worked out, but I don't have the original documents to work from, I don't have access to any original homes, and I don't know any architects or archive people to track the materials I want. Any help is a plus. thank you.
It is hard to dewsign and build to exactly the same proportions now because we generally need to use thicker structural members and insulkation packages to meet modern codes. That makes it quite a challenge. For instance, the narrow doghouse dormers of old times are not possible in the same sizing today.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!