#1. Has anyone encountered plans that sound like this? My house is an American foursquare that may have been divided into two homes vertically probably back in the 30's. The trim and plasterwork and tiles on the dividing wall look as old as the rest of the house. It's not like other duplexes I've seen from this era which are divided horizontally like apartments. I have a small kitchen in the back of the house and a larger eat in kitchen/dining area in front of it. Then in front of that is yet another dining room. The stairs cascade down and turn into this formal dining area. The living room is in front of that and is at the front door. So the rooms all line up in a row front to back.
The way the structure was divided looks like it has always been that way. The party wall is between the windows in the gable center in the front and back of the slate hip roof. These windows can't be more than 6" apart.
That being the description. Has anyone ever heard of a duplex like this from this era?
I'm trying to do a new layout for the kitchen areas which have undergone several tastless "renovations" ie. drop ceiling and z-brick w/ black morter and fake paneling. The original wood trim is gone there. But thankfully the original stained wood trim and doors are for the most part still intact throughout the rest of the home.
Problem #2 The dividing/party wall which is old extruded brick with an 11wx10h face is not a good sound barier. Could anyone offer suggestions to better insulate for sound. I've thought of furing and sheathing with insulation and drywall? Or could this brick have cavities that can be filled with spray foam insulation without compromising it's structural inegrity.
loose fluffy insulation in attic built 1925, two qu...
Bob Ryley and Wood Floors
Creating cathedral ceilings
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools