#1. Has anyone encountered plans that sound like this? My house is an American foursquare that may have been divided into two homes vertically probably back in the 30's. The trim and plasterwork and tiles on the dividing wall look as old as the rest of the house. It's not like other duplexes I've seen from this era which are divided horizontally like apartments. I have a small kitchen in the back of the house and a larger eat in kitchen/dining area in front of it. Then in front of that is yet another dining room. The stairs cascade down and turn into this formal dining area. The living room is in front of that and is at the front door. So the rooms all line up in a row front to back.
The way the structure was divided looks like it has always been that way. The party wall is between the windows in the gable center in the front and back of the slate hip roof. These windows can't be more than 6" apart.
That being the description. Has anyone ever heard of a duplex like this from this era?
I'm trying to do a new layout for the kitchen areas which have undergone several tastless "renovations" ie. drop ceiling and z-brick w/ black morter and fake paneling. The original wood trim is gone there. But thankfully the original stained wood trim and doors are for the most part still intact throughout the rest of the home.
Problem #2 The dividing/party wall which is old extruded brick with an 11wx10h face is not a good sound barier. Could anyone offer suggestions to better insulate for sound. I've thought of furing and sheathing with insulation and drywall? Or could this brick have cavities that can be filled with spray foam insulation without compromising it's structural inegrity.
loose fluffy insulation in attic built 1925, two qu...
What roofing material is right for me?
Creating cathedral ceilings
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers