#1. Has anyone encountered plans that sound like this? My house is an American foursquare that may have been divided into two homes vertically probably back in the 30's. The trim and plasterwork and tiles on the dividing wall look as old as the rest of the house. It's not like other duplexes I've seen from this era which are divided horizontally like apartments. I have a small kitchen in the back of the house and a larger eat in kitchen/dining area in front of it. Then in front of that is yet another dining room. The stairs cascade down and turn into this formal dining area. The living room is in front of that and is at the front door. So the rooms all line up in a row front to back.
The way the structure was divided looks like it has always been that way. The party wall is between the windows in the gable center in the front and back of the slate hip roof. These windows can't be more than 6" apart.
That being the description. Has anyone ever heard of a duplex like this from this era?
I'm trying to do a new layout for the kitchen areas which have undergone several tastless "renovations" ie. drop ceiling and z-brick w/ black morter and fake paneling. The original wood trim is gone there. But thankfully the original stained wood trim and doors are for the most part still intact throughout the rest of the home.
Problem #2 The dividing/party wall which is old extruded brick with an 11wx10h face is not a good sound barier. Could anyone offer suggestions to better insulate for sound. I've thought of furing and sheathing with insulation and drywall? Or could this brick have cavities that can be filled with spray foam insulation without compromising it's structural inegrity.
loose fluffy insulation in attic built 1925, two qu...
Bob Ryley and Wood Floors
Creating cathedral ceilings
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 11 Signs of an Unhappy Houseplant
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 IKEA Favorites, DIY Style
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips