#1. Has anyone encountered plans that sound like this? My house is an American foursquare that may have been divided into two homes vertically probably back in the 30's. The trim and plasterwork and tiles on the dividing wall look as old as the rest of the house. It's not like other duplexes I've seen from this era which are divided horizontally like apartments. I have a small kitchen in the back of the house and a larger eat in kitchen/dining area in front of it. Then in front of that is yet another dining room. The stairs cascade down and turn into this formal dining area. The living room is in front of that and is at the front door. So the rooms all line up in a row front to back.
The way the structure was divided looks like it has always been that way. The party wall is between the windows in the gable center in the front and back of the slate hip roof. These windows can't be more than 6" apart.
That being the description. Has anyone ever heard of a duplex like this from this era?
I'm trying to do a new layout for the kitchen areas which have undergone several tastless "renovations" ie. drop ceiling and z-brick w/ black morter and fake paneling. The original wood trim is gone there. But thankfully the original stained wood trim and doors are for the most part still intact throughout the rest of the home.
Problem #2 The dividing/party wall which is old extruded brick with an 11wx10h face is not a good sound barier. Could anyone offer suggestions to better insulate for sound. I've thought of furing and sheathing with insulation and drywall? Or could this brick have cavities that can be filled with spray foam insulation without compromising it's structural inegrity.
loose fluffy insulation in attic built 1925, two qu...
Bob Ryley and Wood Floors
Creating cathedral ceilings
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees