I am looking at building a 26x24 wood shop in my back yard (not attached to the house)here in Atlanta Georgia. I was going to put in a concrete floor but the price to do this is pretty hefty.
I am wondering if I can build a wooden deck system (like a back porch deck) for the floor instead of concrete?
The question I have here is can a wooden deck system support the weight of a car / boat if I later decided to get out of wood working and wanted to turn it into a garage?
Any advice here would be helpful!
Here in Maine there have been a lot of garages built on piers with wood floors. The most common is withj 2x6 pine or spruce T&G decking but since the coming of ready mix concrete, it is cheaper to do a poured concrete floor than to build it with wood.
You can frame your form with 2X6's, buy gravel, rebar and wire, 12 yards of concrete, and even a guy to help you screed and finish the slab for around $1,500. a 6" slab with 18" footing along the perimeter and down the middle will be there for life. The cost of a deck ( especially one strong enough to handle cars and boats) will cost you at least $5/ square foot. That's over $3,000. I'd definitely go with the slab.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes