I am looking at building a 26x24 wood shop in my back yard (not attached to the house)here in Atlanta Georgia. I was going to put in a concrete floor but the price to do this is pretty hefty.
I am wondering if I can build a wooden deck system (like a back porch deck) for the floor instead of concrete?
The question I have here is can a wooden deck system support the weight of a car / boat if I later decided to get out of wood working and wanted to turn it into a garage?
Any advice here would be helpful!
Here in Maine there have been a lot of garages built on piers with wood floors. The most common is withj 2x6 pine or spruce T&G decking but since the coming of ready mix concrete, it is cheaper to do a poured concrete floor than to build it with wood.
You can frame your form with 2X6's, buy gravel, rebar and wire, 12 yards of concrete, and even a guy to help you screed and finish the slab for around $1,500. a 6" slab with 18" footing along the perimeter and down the middle will be there for life. The cost of a deck ( especially one strong enough to handle cars and boats) will cost you at least $5/ square foot. That's over $3,000. I'd definitely go with the slab.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!