I am looking at building a 26x24 wood shop in my back yard (not attached to the house)here in Atlanta Georgia. I was going to put in a concrete floor but the price to do this is pretty hefty.
I am wondering if I can build a wooden deck system (like a back porch deck) for the floor instead of concrete?
The question I have here is can a wooden deck system support the weight of a car / boat if I later decided to get out of wood working and wanted to turn it into a garage?
Any advice here would be helpful!
Here in Maine there have been a lot of garages built on piers with wood floors. The most common is withj 2x6 pine or spruce T&G decking but since the coming of ready mix concrete, it is cheaper to do a poured concrete floor than to build it with wood.
You can frame your form with 2X6's, buy gravel, rebar and wire, 12 yards of concrete, and even a guy to help you screed and finish the slab for around $1,500. a 6" slab with 18" footing along the perimeter and down the middle will be there for life. The cost of a deck ( especially one strong enough to handle cars and boats) will cost you at least $5/ square foot. That's over $3,000. I'd definitely go with the slab.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them