I honestly think I have a question for every category in here, since I bought my new home three years ago!
My problem is we a slight hill between our neighbors home and ours. There is something underneath the ground in their yard. You can see the deep indent going into the ground. My problem is that it may be a french drain that is draining down into my property. Not sure if this is what it is or mabey a dry well of some kind.
The grass is brown all the way down the slope which continues to go under our deck and down through our yard. I'd say its length in total is 30 feet long. It looks horrible seeing all the dead grass each summer around this time. Someone took a "probe type tool" and stuck it in the ground and found some type of stone or gravel coming down into our yard. Also, the area that runs down after our deck is wet.
I'm just wondering if we put a french drain in the opposite way of this problem, that mabey it will take the water away from our home. Not quite sure how to build a french drain, but from what I read on this site, it doesn't seem to hard, BUT will it work in this situation?
Of course we believe this is also causing us to have water coming into the basement area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!