I honestly think I have a question for every category in here, since I bought my new home three years ago!
My problem is we a slight hill between our neighbors home and ours. There is something underneath the ground in their yard. You can see the deep indent going into the ground. My problem is that it may be a french drain that is draining down into my property. Not sure if this is what it is or mabey a dry well of some kind.
The grass is brown all the way down the slope which continues to go under our deck and down through our yard. I'd say its length in total is 30 feet long. It looks horrible seeing all the dead grass each summer around this time. Someone took a "probe type tool" and stuck it in the ground and found some type of stone or gravel coming down into our yard. Also, the area that runs down after our deck is wet.
I'm just wondering if we put a french drain in the opposite way of this problem, that mabey it will take the water away from our home. Not quite sure how to build a french drain, but from what I read on this site, it doesn't seem to hard, BUT will it work in this situation?
Of course we believe this is also causing us to have water coming into the basement area.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight