Router bit for plate shelf
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what shape bit(s) to use?
I am going to use oak for the shelf, and the width will be determined in part by the shape left by the router. Thank you!
For the front edge .....thinning the shelf.....(not very practical)...... would require a panel raising bit or a table saw or planer.......How about a decorative edge on the front..... try a ogee....or round-over.........to finish the edge. doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited January 09, 2003).]
Thanks for the reply. I know I need to put in a groove near the back to hold the plates in place. Since I am using a 3/4" thick board, I feel I can safely put a decorative cut or two on the front to taper it down some. Some time ago I saw one somewhere that had a couple of cuts made in it, that looke very nice. It's hard to describe here, but a narrow tapered cut away from the edge. Nearer to the edge was another one wider but cut deeper with a round over to the edge, which ended up around 1/4" to 3/8" thick. It was sort of like some of the casing trim one might see, but with an area at the back wide enough for a groove to hold the plates in place.
Does that make any sense?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?