Router bit for plate shelf
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what shape bit(s) to use?
I am going to use oak for the shelf, and the width will be determined in part by the shape left by the router. Thank you!
For the front edge .....thinning the shelf.....(not very practical)...... would require a panel raising bit or a table saw or planer.......How about a decorative edge on the front..... try a ogee....or round-over.........to finish the edge. doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited January 09, 2003).]
Thanks for the reply. I know I need to put in a groove near the back to hold the plates in place. Since I am using a 3/4" thick board, I feel I can safely put a decorative cut or two on the front to taper it down some. Some time ago I saw one somewhere that had a couple of cuts made in it, that looke very nice. It's hard to describe here, but a narrow tapered cut away from the edge. Nearer to the edge was another one wider but cut deeper with a round over to the edge, which ended up around 1/4" to 3/8" thick. It was sort of like some of the casing trim one might see, but with an area at the back wide enough for a groove to hold the plates in place.
Does that make any sense?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love