Router bit for plate shelf
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what shape bit(s) to use?
I am going to use oak for the shelf, and the width will be determined in part by the shape left by the router. Thank you!
For the front edge .....thinning the shelf.....(not very practical)...... would require a panel raising bit or a table saw or planer.......How about a decorative edge on the front..... try a ogee....or round-over.........to finish the edge. doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited January 09, 2003).]
Thanks for the reply. I know I need to put in a groove near the back to hold the plates in place. Since I am using a 3/4" thick board, I feel I can safely put a decorative cut or two on the front to taper it down some. Some time ago I saw one somewhere that had a couple of cuts made in it, that looke very nice. It's hard to describe here, but a narrow tapered cut away from the edge. Nearer to the edge was another one wider but cut deeper with a round over to the edge, which ended up around 1/4" to 3/8" thick. It was sort of like some of the casing trim one might see, but with an area at the back wide enough for a groove to hold the plates in place.
Does that make any sense?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!