I'm going to be installing a stacked (mortarless) retaining wall on the edge of a newly poured slab (5" thick) designed for additional parking. The wall will be 3 feet tall.
My question is: Can I stack the bricks on the edge of the cement slab or must the first course be laid on soil? The bricks have a downward lip on the back side that would hook right over the edge of the cement.
Each brick is 16" x 10" x 6" tall. There will be 6 courses. Each brick weighs 60 lbs. After the wall is built, the weight per 16" x 10" area would be 360 lbs which is well under what I've been told is the load capacity for the slab (as long as it cures properly). I would backfill the wall with gravel for drainage, and the design of the bricks makes them lean back into the hillside which is supposed to increase stability.
Is this a bad idea? Any help would be much appreciated! My knowledge is very limited when it comes to this project.
Retaining Wall Drainage
looking for suggestions for a retaining wall for oc...
Retaining wall against foundation
Cement Slab Question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps