I'm going to be installing a stacked (mortarless) retaining wall on the edge of a newly poured slab (5" thick) designed for additional parking. The wall will be 3 feet tall.
My question is: Can I stack the bricks on the edge of the cement slab or must the first course be laid on soil? The bricks have a downward lip on the back side that would hook right over the edge of the cement.
Each brick is 16" x 10" x 6" tall. There will be 6 courses. Each brick weighs 60 lbs. After the wall is built, the weight per 16" x 10" area would be 360 lbs which is well under what I've been told is the load capacity for the slab (as long as it cures properly). I would backfill the wall with gravel for drainage, and the design of the bricks makes them lean back into the hillside which is supposed to increase stability.
Is this a bad idea? Any help would be much appreciated! My knowledge is very limited when it comes to this project.
Retaining Wall Drainage
looking for suggestions for a retaining wall for oc...
Retaining wall against foundation
Cement Slab Question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes