I'm going to be installing a stacked (mortarless) retaining wall on the edge of a newly poured slab (5" thick) designed for additional parking. The wall will be 3 feet tall.
My question is: Can I stack the bricks on the edge of the cement slab or must the first course be laid on soil? The bricks have a downward lip on the back side that would hook right over the edge of the cement.
Each brick is 16" x 10" x 6" tall. There will be 6 courses. Each brick weighs 60 lbs. After the wall is built, the weight per 16" x 10" area would be 360 lbs which is well under what I've been told is the load capacity for the slab (as long as it cures properly). I would backfill the wall with gravel for drainage, and the design of the bricks makes them lean back into the hillside which is supposed to increase stability.
Is this a bad idea? Any help would be much appreciated! My knowledge is very limited when it comes to this project.
Retaining Wall Drainage
looking for suggestions for a retaining wall for oc...
Retaining wall against foundation
Cement Slab Question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY