I have purchased a home a few years ago
which has a LARGE swamp maple (75 feet) in the back against the garage. According to the survey 3 feet 3 inches from the garage is the boundary line. The trunk is close to 4 feet in diameter.
With that said, the tree has broken through the wall of the garage and the floor is severely heaved.
We want to have it taken down but our neighbor feels it is their tree. It is not on either of our surveys and my town inspector said I should get another survey
taken. What are my options?
This could get to be a real legal issue. generally, you are allowed to trim/remove any limbs, etc overhanging your property. On the other hand, if your neighbor insists that it is his tree, how about suing him for damages to your property? Sounds like a real hassle. I might be tempted to remove any and all parts of the tree on my property - might kill the tree. May be best to consult legal advice.
Yeah, you should probably get additional professional advice. But I think I would point out to the neighbor that whoever owns the tree is responsible for the damage to your garage, and ask about his insurance coverage.
hopefully this doesnt get nasty. if the neighbor says its his let his insurance company pay for the damage. if he isnt going to pay for it or gives you any grief start by going to the township you live in and see if they have a platt map you can look at which should have your property listed and its boundaries and property markers that way you can dig up property stakes (if any) that are still underground. but do the platt map finding first then if you still dont come up with anything talk to a lawyer or just cut the tree down and let it land on his house :P whichever you prefer (kidding obviously)
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda