I recently stained my deck with Olympic Semi-Transparent stain, and applied too much in several areas. These areas are not drying, staying shiny and a bit sticky. Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?
You should be able to apply some mineral spirits to the glossy areas to soften the gummy residue, then use a scraper and rag to remove excess before it dries. The mineral spirits will not harm the wood or stain, and should re-activate the solids so you can even out the finish. Even if you do nothing, eventually the shiny areas will harden on their own and weather to a uniform color and finish.
Replacement Windows.....how much is too much?
Deck Stain on Vinyl Siding
SANDING A DECK HELP
wood deck with solid stain-gets too dirty-what to co...
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING