1. Breaker: Easy to check, probably not the cause, switch it with another breaker of the same amperage.
2. Short: Probably not the cause either since it only does it occasionally, unless, when the water reaches a certain level it bridges the gap and causes the short.
3. Overamp: Most likely cause- two possibilities:
A. Pump is partially jammed or binding from old age. Since the pump is not turning freely it is putting a strain on the motor causing it to overwork and heat up. When this happens the motor begins to exceed the amperage rating causing the breaker to trip.
B. Motor itself. As motors age the internal parts break down causing problems. Either the windings become shorted, the bearings begin to seize (similar to the pump problem), etc. For whatever reason the motor will itself overamp and trip the breaker.
The overamping can be verified with an amprobe without going into the well.
Notice the diagramming, paid attention in school. I am not certain what your control box does, but I really cannot see it or the pressure switch causing a tripping problem unless it shorts out from the water. But all of these are usually under water constantly unless yours is a remote setup.
If I missed anything?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!