Flapper will not position-floats when tank is filling and will not close. Replaced with new and same result. Any suggestions?
Normally the flapper floats until the tank is empty. Then it "falls" shut. Either: 1) the tank is failing to empty completely for some reason or 2) the flapper falls but doesn't stay down when the water starts to fill on top of it. I believe the thing that makes it stay down is vacuum. If it was working OK and this is a new problem, then I'd say there's a problem elsewhere in your system. Anything changed lately in your house? If you've just made some changes to this commode, could it be that the water filling the tank is coming into the tank in such a way that it is lifting the flapper at one edge, breaking the seal? If that's the case, you might need to adjust how the water is entering the tank. Also, make sure that the flapper is sealing properly when the tank is empty.
That may very well solve your problem if you have high water pressure.The water rushing in holds the flapper open.This is also the reason you hear of a clogged toilet which continues to overflow.The water takes a direct path past the flapper,to the bowl,to the floor and will continue until shut-off.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects