Flapper will not position-floats when tank is filling and will not close. Replaced with new and same result. Any suggestions?
Normally the flapper floats until the tank is empty. Then it "falls" shut. Either: 1) the tank is failing to empty completely for some reason or 2) the flapper falls but doesn't stay down when the water starts to fill on top of it. I believe the thing that makes it stay down is vacuum. If it was working OK and this is a new problem, then I'd say there's a problem elsewhere in your system. Anything changed lately in your house? If you've just made some changes to this commode, could it be that the water filling the tank is coming into the tank in such a way that it is lifting the flapper at one edge, breaking the seal? If that's the case, you might need to adjust how the water is entering the tank. Also, make sure that the flapper is sealing properly when the tank is empty.
That may very well solve your problem if you have high water pressure.The water rushing in holds the flapper open.This is also the reason you hear of a clogged toilet which continues to overflow.The water takes a direct path past the flapper,to the bowl,to the floor and will continue until shut-off.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight