framing a garage
Generally a 30 inch door requires a 32 inch opening.
They also just use 2x12 headers because a 2x12 is the correct spacing for the header above the door. You could use a 2x8 header but then you have to measure where it goes.
For the garage door, just measure it out while building the wall.
normal for swing doors is 2-1/2" over nominal width and height.
Frame the garage door at the nominal size of 9x7. Use 2x4 with a double jack under each end of the header. Header size depends on what it is supporting. Your roof might not bear on this wall the garage door is in, but if it does, the generall rule of thumb for opennings is to use a double 2x6 for up to six foot openning, 2x8 for 8', 2x10 for ten foot, etc.
So if you are using an eight foot tall wall, a doubled 2x10 will be just right after you alow three inches for the double top plate and have a 9.25" 2x10. That leaves an openning of 6'11.75" before trimming out the door.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps