I have a cabinet that I put strips of paduke on 8 years ago. Now i am refinishing the cabinet again I noticed that the paduke has turned a brown color. And yet the left over wood that I kept in storage all these years still has retained it's red color. I have been told that I need to use a special glue to avoid this from happening again. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Padauk is very light sensitive, much like cherry, and oxidizes to a brown color over time. This only happens on the surface and if it's planed the color will come back. The key to preventing the color shift is to block ultraviolet light from the wood. I once read an article (I think in FINE WOODWORKING) that said to first coat the wood with Armor All before finishing with another wood finish. I guess it works like suntan lotion. I don't know how long it will work, but it at least slows down the darkening process.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!