How much should I expect it to cost to have a licensed abatement contractor remove 1700 square feet of friable acoustical ceiling treatment that is 2% chrysotile? Also please factor in most of the ceiling is damaged and is located on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.
I'm just looking for a ball park idea of the cost of this project.
Thanks for your input!
According to http://accurateinspections.com/asbestosremoval.htm, the cost for asbestos removal start at $800. Not sure how your location would change that estimate. Well, it's not cheap, and it's a complicated process. Are you sure that you absolutely need to remove it -- i.e., have you had this place inspected by a licensed home inspector before making a decision to get a contractor in there? Chrysotile (aka "white asbestos") is the main form of asbestos in the US and thus most people have some minimal exposure in their lives. Of course, it is a carcinogenic substance and kills many people, so getting rid of it is never a bad idea. Perhaps you could consider testing the level of asbestos? Here is a link to a do-it-youself asbestos testing kit: http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp?kit=asbestos. I have not used this kit, but their site says that their laboratory test identifies asbestos fibers to as little as 1% content by weight and is more sensitive than EPA guidelines. They are certified by ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors, which is the industry standard setter for home inspections. Good luck.
asbestos ceiling tiles?
Wanted: Armstrong ceiling tile 21A
refinishing white cedar ceiling already oil base pai...
Help..need an Andersen TW window
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight