How much should I expect it to cost to have a licensed abatement contractor remove 1700 square feet of friable acoustical ceiling treatment that is 2% chrysotile? Also please factor in most of the ceiling is damaged and is located on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.
I'm just looking for a ball park idea of the cost of this project.
Thanks for your input!
According to http://accurateinspections.com/asbestosremoval.htm, the cost for asbestos removal start at $800. Not sure how your location would change that estimate. Well, it's not cheap, and it's a complicated process. Are you sure that you absolutely need to remove it -- i.e., have you had this place inspected by a licensed home inspector before making a decision to get a contractor in there? Chrysotile (aka "white asbestos") is the main form of asbestos in the US and thus most people have some minimal exposure in their lives. Of course, it is a carcinogenic substance and kills many people, so getting rid of it is never a bad idea. Perhaps you could consider testing the level of asbestos? Here is a link to a do-it-youself asbestos testing kit: http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp?kit=asbestos. I have not used this kit, but their site says that their laboratory test identifies asbestos fibers to as little as 1% content by weight and is more sensitive than EPA guidelines. They are certified by ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors, which is the industry standard setter for home inspections. Good luck.
asbestos ceiling tiles?
Wanted: Armstrong ceiling tile 21A
refinishing white cedar ceiling already oil base pai...
Help..need an Andersen TW window
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs