How much should I expect it to cost to have a licensed abatement contractor remove 1700 square feet of friable acoustical ceiling treatment that is 2% chrysotile? Also please factor in most of the ceiling is damaged and is located on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.
I'm just looking for a ball park idea of the cost of this project.
Thanks for your input!
According to http://accurateinspections.com/asbestosremoval.htm, the cost for asbestos removal start at $800. Not sure how your location would change that estimate. Well, it's not cheap, and it's a complicated process. Are you sure that you absolutely need to remove it -- i.e., have you had this place inspected by a licensed home inspector before making a decision to get a contractor in there? Chrysotile (aka "white asbestos") is the main form of asbestos in the US and thus most people have some minimal exposure in their lives. Of course, it is a carcinogenic substance and kills many people, so getting rid of it is never a bad idea. Perhaps you could consider testing the level of asbestos? Here is a link to a do-it-youself asbestos testing kit: http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp?kit=asbestos. I have not used this kit, but their site says that their laboratory test identifies asbestos fibers to as little as 1% content by weight and is more sensitive than EPA guidelines. They are certified by ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors, which is the industry standard setter for home inspections. Good luck.
asbestos ceiling tiles?
Wanted: Armstrong ceiling tile 21A
refinishing white cedar ceiling already oil base pai...
Help..need an Andersen TW window
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!