How much should I expect it to cost to have a licensed abatement contractor remove 1700 square feet of friable acoustical ceiling treatment that is 2% chrysotile? Also please factor in most of the ceiling is damaged and is located on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.
I'm just looking for a ball park idea of the cost of this project.
Thanks for your input!
According to http://accurateinspections.com/asbestosremoval.htm, the cost for asbestos removal start at $800. Not sure how your location would change that estimate. Well, it's not cheap, and it's a complicated process. Are you sure that you absolutely need to remove it -- i.e., have you had this place inspected by a licensed home inspector before making a decision to get a contractor in there? Chrysotile (aka "white asbestos") is the main form of asbestos in the US and thus most people have some minimal exposure in their lives. Of course, it is a carcinogenic substance and kills many people, so getting rid of it is never a bad idea. Perhaps you could consider testing the level of asbestos? Here is a link to a do-it-youself asbestos testing kit: http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp?kit=asbestos. I have not used this kit, but their site says that their laboratory test identifies asbestos fibers to as little as 1% content by weight and is more sensitive than EPA guidelines. They are certified by ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors, which is the industry standard setter for home inspections. Good luck.
asbestos ceiling tiles?
Wanted: Armstrong ceiling tile 21A
refinishing white cedar ceiling already oil base pai...
Help..need an Andersen TW window
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!