Word to the wise:
PA enacted a new state wide building code in 2004. However, there is a massive loop hole in it regarding modular homes.
I had to pay all the same permit fees for new building code compliance as everyone else does. HOWEVER, as I found out during construction when the builder continually proved himself to be inept, the PA building code does not cover the installation of a modular home. Only things below the sub-floor level of the home are inspected.
The modular homes are required to pass code at the factory. But the builder is allowed to come out and install and complete your home without inspection.
In my case, this meant he could set the house on the foundation incorrectly, raise the roof incorrectly, put vinyl siding on incorrectly, cut a hole thru the roof for a vent pipe and never put the pipe in, left another vent pipe "hanging" thru the roof and not hooked up, etc., etc.
Even things that could be inspected were done incorrectly and passed. I had level horizontal plumbing lines, a septic tank with a 90 degree elbow in the inlet pipe, etc., etc.
Needless to say it is a little over 3 years later, and I am in court. I would never build a modular in the state of PA again.
Were my windows installed correct?
Modular Homes in New Orleans
Bob's interview with a modular home designer
Valubuild out of business-there is a God after all!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love