Word to the wise:
PA enacted a new state wide building code in 2004. However, there is a massive loop hole in it regarding modular homes.
I had to pay all the same permit fees for new building code compliance as everyone else does. HOWEVER, as I found out during construction when the builder continually proved himself to be inept, the PA building code does not cover the installation of a modular home. Only things below the sub-floor level of the home are inspected.
The modular homes are required to pass code at the factory. But the builder is allowed to come out and install and complete your home without inspection.
In my case, this meant he could set the house on the foundation incorrectly, raise the roof incorrectly, put vinyl siding on incorrectly, cut a hole thru the roof for a vent pipe and never put the pipe in, left another vent pipe "hanging" thru the roof and not hooked up, etc., etc.
Even things that could be inspected were done incorrectly and passed. I had level horizontal plumbing lines, a septic tank with a 90 degree elbow in the inlet pipe, etc., etc.
Needless to say it is a little over 3 years later, and I am in court. I would never build a modular in the state of PA again.
Were my windows installed correct?
Modular Homes in New Orleans
Bob's interview with a modular home designer
Valubuild out of business-there is a God after all!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps