Word to the wise:
PA enacted a new state wide building code in 2004. However, there is a massive loop hole in it regarding modular homes.
I had to pay all the same permit fees for new building code compliance as everyone else does. HOWEVER, as I found out during construction when the builder continually proved himself to be inept, the PA building code does not cover the installation of a modular home. Only things below the sub-floor level of the home are inspected.
The modular homes are required to pass code at the factory. But the builder is allowed to come out and install and complete your home without inspection.
In my case, this meant he could set the house on the foundation incorrectly, raise the roof incorrectly, put vinyl siding on incorrectly, cut a hole thru the roof for a vent pipe and never put the pipe in, left another vent pipe "hanging" thru the roof and not hooked up, etc., etc.
Even things that could be inspected were done incorrectly and passed. I had level horizontal plumbing lines, a septic tank with a 90 degree elbow in the inlet pipe, etc., etc.
Needless to say it is a little over 3 years later, and I am in court. I would never build a modular in the state of PA again.
Were my windows installed correct?
Modular Homes in New Orleans
Bob's interview with a modular home designer
Valubuild out of business-there is a God after all!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight