5Day/2Day Programmable Thermostat
Is your unit truly gas, or a heat pump with a gas backup. Usually, 6 wires is an indication of one of three possibilities; a heat pump, multistage, or you have extra set of wires for the clock. Based on the fact that you have no matching wire colors, I would say you do not have a compatible thermostat: If you have a pure gas furnace, then it is a multistage, and although you have the heat working, only one stage is probably operational. Of course, this is all speculation, but I strongly believe the thermostat you purchased will not function properly in the long run. You fried the transformer already, with a/c you might toast the circuit board, a much more costly item.
I just installed the same thermostat type, albeit a Honeywell make. The instruction booklet confirmed what I just wrote, that the 5-wire unit cannot operate a 6-wire heat-a/c system. In your instruction booklet there should be a 1-800 number to check compatibility. If not, return yours, and call Honeywell at 1-800-468-1502, and they can give you the right model number. I had a variation on my system, which warranted a call, and they were very helpful. Sears also sells Honeywell thermostats, and besides, Honeywell probably made your Sears version in the first place.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight