5Day/2Day Programmable Thermostat
Is your unit truly gas, or a heat pump with a gas backup. Usually, 6 wires is an indication of one of three possibilities; a heat pump, multistage, or you have extra set of wires for the clock. Based on the fact that you have no matching wire colors, I would say you do not have a compatible thermostat: If you have a pure gas furnace, then it is a multistage, and although you have the heat working, only one stage is probably operational. Of course, this is all speculation, but I strongly believe the thermostat you purchased will not function properly in the long run. You fried the transformer already, with a/c you might toast the circuit board, a much more costly item.
I just installed the same thermostat type, albeit a Honeywell make. The instruction booklet confirmed what I just wrote, that the 5-wire unit cannot operate a 6-wire heat-a/c system. In your instruction booklet there should be a 1-800 number to check compatibility. If not, return yours, and call Honeywell at 1-800-468-1502, and they can give you the right model number. I had a variation on my system, which warranted a call, and they were very helpful. Sears also sells Honeywell thermostats, and besides, Honeywell probably made your Sears version in the first place.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes