We have just moved into a new house (house is 5 months old). After a day or two of heavy rain/thaw I noticed several damp, bordering on wet spots on the basement floor. The walls are all dry, we have a sump pump, which is empty and has never come on, and half the floor was painted with a latex floor paint two days ago (other half to do next week). Is the dampness normal? We moved into the house in the fall and have not experienced heavy rain/thaw since in the house.
I don't think the dampness is normal. Have you check the underside of the upper floor? You may have a leak that shows up in the basement. A friend had a leak at the dryer vent. The water ran through the vent pipe to the middle of the basement before it dripped.
Thanks for the advice. I checked the areas you suggested and found a drain line overflowing that runs from the first floor laundry tub to the basement drain. I cleaned out the line and no more wet spots! The water was not coming in through the floor like I thought, but overflowing from this line onto the basement floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 11 Signs of an Unhappy Houseplant
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 IKEA Favorites, DIY Style
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips