Duct work for new basement bathroom
Can I get by with a 4" duct for a 8'x7' bathroom I'm building in the basement? Didn't know if there was a code for the sq. ft. or not. This is a new house and they put 6" duct throughout just thought 6" for a small bathroom might be too much air.
you should get by for the bathroom. It may even be too much. You may however have problems with the reat of the house. If the did the whole space in just 6", the must not know that duct comes in different sizes. I would be willing to bet that you will have problems with airflow. In all likelyhood you will have coil freezeups and tripped limit switches. Then again, they may have done a full heat loss/gain and it just happens that 6" feeds will work perfectly for your space. Unlikely, but it is possible.
Best of luck
Best of luck
Make sure you put a damper on the run going to that bathroom. It needs to be right at the take-off from the main trunkline. Depending on were this take-off is located within the system, you may get a loud air noise due to the smaller duct size. I would put the 6" in and just dampen it down. If you have any hidden issued with static pressure, it will show it's ugly face real quick. Air of the same CFM will go through 4" duct with much more velocity that 6". It's best to go larger and just dampen down what you don't need.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide