electric furnace with heat pump question
Heat pumps are not designed to heat in sub-freezing temps. You may have supplemental resistance heating elements inside your air handler. Yes turn them on, but you won't achieve a comfortable temperature.
A blanket statement like that doesn't apply to every situation. I have a two-speed Lennox heat pump that can keep 72¬∞F indoors and cycle on/off, at ambients down to 27¬∞F or so, without using the auxiliary. Haven't had anything lower than that in a while. I have the auxiliary locked out at ambient of 25¬∞F or above (except during defrost).
Emergency and auxiliary are the same heat source in the system (electric strips or whatever). The term "emergency" is used if/when the heat pump compressor fails completely and the heat strips are the only available source of heat. Usually a switch on the thermostat is manually flipped to shut off the compressor and enable the electric strips to run exclusively.
The term "auxiliary" is used when the outdoor temp falls below the balance-point at which the heat pump alone cannot supply sufficient heat and the electric strips cycle on/off as needed to assist, while the compressor continues to run normally. This is still cheaper and more efficient than running in pure emergency mode.
I'm no expert on the industry, but I would assume a modern heat pump would have exernal temp sensors and other safeguards to prevent the compressor from running if it was dangerous to the health of the system.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!