My wife and I are purchasing a home that needs a new oil boiler. There is no asbestos and it is where the domestic hot water comes from. The sellers are going to be reducing the price of the home by an amount we negotiate. Our inspector told us to expect to pay about $3500 for a new boiler. It is baseboard hot water heat and the house is a ranch of 1380 sqft. There is a hatchway for easy access to the basement. Is the $3500 a good place to start negotiations or is the "average" price higher or lower for a new boiler?
A replacement boiler will vary depending on features and size, which will vary according to local climate, local labor costs and construction of the house. Why not have a HVAC contractor provide a bid for the work? After you move in, you can get additional estimates to make sure you are getting what you want at the best possible price. Without more information, we are going to have a hard time second guessing your inspector's estimate.
Low hot water pressure
Cast iron vs. steel boiler
Oil Boiler Replacement Questions
Should we replace 25-year-old boiler -- that's worki...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes