My wife and I are purchasing a home that needs a new oil boiler. There is no asbestos and it is where the domestic hot water comes from. The sellers are going to be reducing the price of the home by an amount we negotiate. Our inspector told us to expect to pay about $3500 for a new boiler. It is baseboard hot water heat and the house is a ranch of 1380 sqft. There is a hatchway for easy access to the basement. Is the $3500 a good place to start negotiations or is the "average" price higher or lower for a new boiler?
A replacement boiler will vary depending on features and size, which will vary according to local climate, local labor costs and construction of the house. Why not have a HVAC contractor provide a bid for the work? After you move in, you can get additional estimates to make sure you are getting what you want at the best possible price. Without more information, we are going to have a hard time second guessing your inspector's estimate.
Low hot water pressure
Cast iron vs. steel boiler
Oil Boiler Replacement Questions
Should we replace 25-year-old boiler -- that's worki...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!