I need to disconnect and move for a few minutes the compression / expansion tank (aprox. 6-10 gallons) on my boiler / hot water radiator system. I am planning to drain the water in the tank after shutting off the input valve coming from the boiler (with the boiler turned off), unsolder the copper pipe connection,and then reconnect and reinstall the tank (between the joists of the basement ceiling where it is currently).
Question: Do I have to do anything special to make sure there is some air in it or will it automatically on refilling from the system have enough air to fulfill its function?
I already drained 3 or 4 gallons thinking that it was only a holding tank for overflow, and once the flow dropped due to lack of an air intake, I reopened the valve. Since water continued to come out I realized that this was not just a holding tank (I know, this was stupid and I should have asked first).
Second question: By draining this amount, is it likely that I removed all air from the system, creating a hazard once I restart the boiler?
Thank you - regards.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers