I need to disconnect and move for a few minutes the compression / expansion tank (aprox. 6-10 gallons) on my boiler / hot water radiator system. I am planning to drain the water in the tank after shutting off the input valve coming from the boiler (with the boiler turned off), unsolder the copper pipe connection,and then reconnect and reinstall the tank (between the joists of the basement ceiling where it is currently).
Question: Do I have to do anything special to make sure there is some air in it or will it automatically on refilling from the system have enough air to fulfill its function?
I already drained 3 or 4 gallons thinking that it was only a holding tank for overflow, and once the flow dropped due to lack of an air intake, I reopened the valve. Since water continued to come out I realized that this was not just a holding tank (I know, this was stupid and I should have asked first).
Second question: By draining this amount, is it likely that I removed all air from the system, creating a hazard once I restart the boiler?
Thank you - regards.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them