I need to disconnect and move for a few minutes the compression / expansion tank (aprox. 6-10 gallons) on my boiler / hot water radiator system. I am planning to drain the water in the tank after shutting off the input valve coming from the boiler (with the boiler turned off), unsolder the copper pipe connection,and then reconnect and reinstall the tank (between the joists of the basement ceiling where it is currently).
Question: Do I have to do anything special to make sure there is some air in it or will it automatically on refilling from the system have enough air to fulfill its function?
I already drained 3 or 4 gallons thinking that it was only a holding tank for overflow, and once the flow dropped due to lack of an air intake, I reopened the valve. Since water continued to come out I realized that this was not just a holding tank (I know, this was stupid and I should have asked first).
Second question: By draining this amount, is it likely that I removed all air from the system, creating a hazard once I restart the boiler?
Thank you - regards.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!