lights and volts
If you want more control while you're out of the house, use timers and programmable devices.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 17, 2001).]
I frankly think you are over-thinking the problem. Heat from normal light bulbs or fans really is not a problem, even if you are away. Also, reading lights should be BRIGHTER than normal lights, not dimmer (the "dim but enough to read by" comment). Reading under low lighting conditions strains your eyes and adds to any eye problems. Thus, specially-marketed "reading" bulbs/lamps are brighter, not dimmer.
The only advantage I can think of with low voltage lights is that they just have fewer Code restrictions (because of the lower voltage) and are thus more flexible than full voltage lighting; that's the only benefit. They also can use smaller filaments, and thus smaller bulbs, thereby creating a different "look:" pinpoint halogen lights instead of big honkin' incandescents. I plan to install them in my Kitchen to create a more contemporary look.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes