I have a single story ranch home in the Sacramento, CA that has a 2 x 10 facia board around the entire perimeter of the roof. The original wood is clear kiln-dried redwood, required special milling, and would be very expensive to replace, even if I replaced it with paint grade redwood.
The facia takes a real beating in the Sacramento, CA climate, and I have to repaint it every 2-3 years. About 8 years ago, I worked with a painting contractor to restore weather-damaged and dry-rotted portions of the facia, and replaced a few boards in the process. The boards have been painted twice since, and I'm getting ready to paint them again this summer.
As much work as we put into restoring them, they will probably never look like the original boards. There's a lot of surface fluctuations from years of sanding and scraping paint. It would take too much time to attempt to get the boards to look anything close to the original boards.
Aside from just accepting the condition of the boards and proceeding with painting them, I was wondering if anyone makes a 10-12" paint-grade, weather resistant veneer in long lengths or rolls that could be laminated to the surface of the facia with an adhesive. The laminated veneer would be covered at the top with a metal drip cap, and router-trimmed at the bottom of the boards and painted out, hopefully leaving a uniform, even surface. Ideally, the veneer would be about 1/8" in thickness (I'm assuming this would hold up better and give a better result than a "skin" veneer).
I wouldn't necessarily need a hardwood veneer, since it's going to be painted. The veneer wouldn't necessarily even have to be wood, as long as it bonds to the existing facia boards and accepts paint so that it would look similar to other woodwork on the exterior of the house after painting.
I'd appreciate any contact information or internet links that anyone can provide for this or similar product, or any other suggestions for what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets