I have a single story ranch home in the Sacramento, CA that has a 2 x 10 facia board around the entire perimeter of the roof. The original wood is clear kiln-dried redwood, required special milling, and would be very expensive to replace, even if I replaced it with paint grade redwood.
The facia takes a real beating in the Sacramento, CA climate, and I have to repaint it every 2-3 years. About 8 years ago, I worked with a painting contractor to restore weather-damaged and dry-rotted portions of the facia, and replaced a few boards in the process. The boards have been painted twice since, and I'm getting ready to paint them again this summer.
As much work as we put into restoring them, they will probably never look like the original boards. There's a lot of surface fluctuations from years of sanding and scraping paint. It would take too much time to attempt to get the boards to look anything close to the original boards.
Aside from just accepting the condition of the boards and proceeding with painting them, I was wondering if anyone makes a 10-12" paint-grade, weather resistant veneer in long lengths or rolls that could be laminated to the surface of the facia with an adhesive. The laminated veneer would be covered at the top with a metal drip cap, and router-trimmed at the bottom of the boards and painted out, hopefully leaving a uniform, even surface. Ideally, the veneer would be about 1/8" in thickness (I'm assuming this would hold up better and give a better result than a "skin" veneer).
I wouldn't necessarily need a hardwood veneer, since it's going to be painted. The veneer wouldn't necessarily even have to be wood, as long as it bonds to the existing facia boards and accepts paint so that it would look similar to other woodwork on the exterior of the house after painting.
I'd appreciate any contact information or internet links that anyone can provide for this or similar product, or any other suggestions for what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees