I have avery small bed room that has wood paneling on the walls, its very dark and it makes the room look smaller than it really is. i would like to paint the walls but i dont have the time or money to get rid of the paneling all together, is there some way i can paint over it or perhaps hang wallpaper over it without over stretching my check book?
I have successfully painted over wood paneling in several rooms. Of course, the key is always in the preparation. There are three principles I find that make the difference: 1. clean the paneling of any dirt or oil residue, 2. apply a good primer, and, 3. let the wall cure thoroughly between coats. You must not rush the time between coats of cleaner, primer and paint. I wash the walls well with a 1:5 solution of ammonia and water and let it dry for 24 hours. Then I apply a primer specified for wood and let it dry for 24 hours. I prime and paint the grooves first with a foam "brush" to get in the crevices, let that dry and then paint as I would any other wall with a good paint. Do not try to save a few bucks on paint or primer. Use the best, your time is worth it. I prefer Behr,a brand sold at Home Depot but there are several excellent brands. Also, if you use masking tape, be certain to use the blue quick release type that is designed for papered surfaces. If any gets on your paneling, it won't pull up the paint when you take it off. Also, I have been very pleased with faux finishes on previously panelled walls using sponging off or ragging off techniques after painting with a satin finish or eggshell finish base coat. Painting over panelling takes more time but the result is excellent if you are patient and do not rush between coats.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!