I would like to either paint or restore old paneling I have in one room. The paneling is dark and I have washed it and now I have scub spots which took the stain coloring off.
I would like to know which is my best choice painting or trying to restore and which products to use.
You can clean it up and put more urethane on it and that will make it look brighter and cleaner. If you really want to brighten up the room you can paint the paneling a light color. You will need to sand and wipe the paneling down with paint thinner and then wash with amonia and water to make sure there is not any wax or other dirt that will interfear with adhesion, and this goes for either paint or clear urethane. If you are going to paint you will need to prime with a pigmented shellac and then apply the finish paint of choice. This will be a 3 coat job as you will need to put on 2 finish coats over the primer to get good even coverage.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes