OSB vs Plywood roofing
Recently had our roof done. The contract specifically stated 1/2" plywood, but the roofer used OSB. We were out of town when the roof was done, so we only noticed it after the roof was completely done. We put a stop check on our payment and will be trying to get it replaced or reduced since he didn't follow the contract. Should I be worried about OSB? I am specifically worried about resale of the house. Will OSB reduce the value of my house? I live in Portland, Oregon
Thanks for any help
Nobody uses standard plywood anymore.
If the trusses or rafters are 24" apart or closer you should be fine.
I will never use it for roofing though. It will telegraph through the shingles and develope sags between rafters or trusses. The main reason it gets used is because it is cheaper by nearly half.
But what I will do or what half the country is doing has no bearing on this case. The contract specifically called for plywood and a cheaper product was used. That makes for a very strong case in court. The very least you should get from him is a knee bending, begging apology and the cost difference between the two materials which would be anywhere from twelve to forty cents per sq ft of roof area.
But I would be demanding more than that, because you will be looking at those sags for many years, if he leaves it there.
There is a newer type of OSB Called Advantech that is stronger and has more moisture resistant glues that might be acceptable for roofing but that is still ourside the contract. I would measure carefully in my mind to decide whether he is merely careless and slovenly in his trade practices or whether he is a shyster who intentionally defrauded you to decide how to proceed.
Foamboard instead of OSB
Latest "green" metal roofing installation technology
osb roofing unprotected
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight