OSB vs Plywood roofing
Recently had our roof done. The contract specifically stated 1/2" plywood, but the roofer used OSB. We were out of town when the roof was done, so we only noticed it after the roof was completely done. We put a stop check on our payment and will be trying to get it replaced or reduced since he didn't follow the contract. Should I be worried about OSB? I am specifically worried about resale of the house. Will OSB reduce the value of my house? I live in Portland, Oregon
Thanks for any help
Nobody uses standard plywood anymore.
If the trusses or rafters are 24" apart or closer you should be fine.
I will never use it for roofing though. It will telegraph through the shingles and develope sags between rafters or trusses. The main reason it gets used is because it is cheaper by nearly half.
But what I will do or what half the country is doing has no bearing on this case. The contract specifically called for plywood and a cheaper product was used. That makes for a very strong case in court. The very least you should get from him is a knee bending, begging apology and the cost difference between the two materials which would be anywhere from twelve to forty cents per sq ft of roof area.
But I would be demanding more than that, because you will be looking at those sags for many years, if he leaves it there.
There is a newer type of OSB Called Advantech that is stronger and has more moisture resistant glues that might be acceptable for roofing but that is still ourside the contract. I would measure carefully in my mind to decide whether he is merely careless and slovenly in his trade practices or whether he is a shyster who intentionally defrauded you to decide how to proceed.
Foamboard instead of OSB
Latest "green" metal roofing installation technology
osb roofing unprotected
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps