1. Remove the floor and install a plywood subfloor in its place.
2. Screw down the pine floor along the sides with two screws on every floor joist. Then install a plywood overlay on top of the pine boards to take out the bounce.
The most critical factor for you is to make sure that the floors are level with the other floors that it will butt against. Me? My choice would be #1.
Do not use regular nails when laying the floor. Use annular ring or drywall screws for a much better hold. Have Fun!!!!!
say that the floors bounce. In a 108 year
old building, with that problem, I'd welcome
the opportunity to get a look at the joists.
There could be old termite damage or rot.
Wood can get weak and sag when it gets that
old. Check them, and you'll know for sure
that everything's OK.
Count me in on this one. Do the job right the first time. You might want to sister additional floor joists alongside the exsisiting joists. A couple of bucks maybe, but worth it. Also, you could use tounge and groove subfloor. Glue it down with construction adhesive and screw it down.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda