bathroom floor tiling project
We are remodeling our bathroom and want to tile the floor (5 ft x 6 ft area). We've removed the old vinyl flooring and are down to the subfloor which consists of 3/4" tongue and groove boards running diagonally over 2x8 floor joists. I was wondering if it was better to glue down 1/4" plywood, apply thinset and then 1/4" backerboard on top or just apply thinset directly to the subflooring and install 1/2" backerboard. The subfloor is in pretty good shape wiht a few gaps here and there. Thanks for your help! Marc
I'm very happy with the way it came out. Not a single squeek and extremely solid! Some say that you should use thin set between the plywood and cement board. This would be one way to do it as well.
Is your floor level? I would say that since you have toung/groove floor on the joists, that you could use a thinner 1/2 plywood or OSB. As for the backer board, you could go 1/2", but 1/4" would probably do the trick. Depends on how springy your floor is.
I'm assuming you took a good thickness of flooring out to get down to the t/g subfloor?
If your floor is springy, then I would use the 1/2" cement board for sure, but if it's solid, you could go with 1/4" plywood and 1/4" cement board. I would glue the plywood to the t/g and either thinset or glue the cement board down. Make sure you use plenty of screws.
It's 6 of one in my opinion...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes