I am installing random width plank cherry flooring (not t&g) over 3/4" t&g plywood over 2X12. Do I have to face nail? Plug and screw in addition to nailing? It is 1" thick, should I plane 1/4" off? Can anyone offer any installation tips? This will be my first solid wood floor install.
just to toss in my 2 cents worth , if the wood is 1" thick and not T & G , it's not regular wood flooring ,but it should still work. i assume you will be sanding the floor smooth (if not now some time in the future) so how you fix it to the floor is the question. you can't face nail and then sand,so i think you should pre-drill each piece (counter sink) then use a plug,thats how they used to do it ( with dowels) good luck
directly over 2X12's or over a subfloor.. you should use a subfloor, or it will have a greater tendency to "cup" no matter how you install it. I'd face nail and plug, but I'd also glue it with Bostiks best adhesive, wide boards always cup no matter how you install them..
Laying solid wood flooring
Hardwood floor buckling
plank floor install relative to joists.
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!