I am installing random width plank cherry flooring (not t&g) over 3/4" t&g plywood over 2X12. Do I have to face nail? Plug and screw in addition to nailing? It is 1" thick, should I plane 1/4" off? Can anyone offer any installation tips? This will be my first solid wood floor install.
just to toss in my 2 cents worth , if the wood is 1" thick and not T & G , it's not regular wood flooring ,but it should still work. i assume you will be sanding the floor smooth (if not now some time in the future) so how you fix it to the floor is the question. you can't face nail and then sand,so i think you should pre-drill each piece (counter sink) then use a plug,thats how they used to do it ( with dowels) good luck
directly over 2X12's or over a subfloor.. you should use a subfloor, or it will have a greater tendency to "cup" no matter how you install it. I'd face nail and plug, but I'd also glue it with Bostiks best adhesive, wide boards always cup no matter how you install them..
Laying solid wood flooring
Hardwood floor buckling
plank floor install relative to joists.
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes