fix and refinish hardwood floors
Hello all. I recently bought a house and removed the carpet in the dining room to find some very nice finished wood floors. One problem... the previous owner had a cat and certain areas are stained black and one corner the wood has actually shrunk, split and cracked from the constant wet and dry conditions. I would like to repair the floor if I can but I am not aware of anything that would help with the stains and smell. I am going to try sanding a bit off the top to see if that gets rid of the stain but after that I'm out of ideas. What would you suggest?
If sanding doesn't work replacing the boards is the next option. The urethane will seal in the smell but the stains often go deep especially if there has been enogh moisture to cause shrinkage in the boards.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight