removing plastic tiles
I thought I had an experience that I would never have occasion to pass to another unfortunate victim of plastic tile.
We had all colors, in many rooms. It was stuck on with some sort of nasty, orange-brown adhesive.
Popping the tiles off takes no time at all. But getting that adhesive off the plaster takes forever. You'll need a vicious and viscous remover. I can't remember what we used. You know why? It was so nasty I can't remember much of anything since we used it.
And you'll need a very rugged scraper. Expect to bleed some from the knuckles.
Expect some wall repair when you are finished. We smoothed out the biggest gouges and wallpapered over it. If you are tiling over it, obviously you can get away with less removing and no patching.
In our basement, we popped off the tile and put gallons and gallons of drywall mud over the adhesive rather than remove it. So we have a very rough wall, but hey, it is a basement.
Maybe you'll be lucky and the adhesive will be different, and therefore easier.
Good luck. I need to be picking out a casket now for the early grave that the remover is sending me to.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!