removing plastic tiles
I thought I had an experience that I would never have occasion to pass to another unfortunate victim of plastic tile.
We had all colors, in many rooms. It was stuck on with some sort of nasty, orange-brown adhesive.
Popping the tiles off takes no time at all. But getting that adhesive off the plaster takes forever. You'll need a vicious and viscous remover. I can't remember what we used. You know why? It was so nasty I can't remember much of anything since we used it.
And you'll need a very rugged scraper. Expect to bleed some from the knuckles.
Expect some wall repair when you are finished. We smoothed out the biggest gouges and wallpapered over it. If you are tiling over it, obviously you can get away with less removing and no patching.
In our basement, we popped off the tile and put gallons and gallons of drywall mud over the adhesive rather than remove it. So we have a very rough wall, but hey, it is a basement.
Maybe you'll be lucky and the adhesive will be different, and therefore easier.
Good luck. I need to be picking out a casket now for the early grave that the remover is sending me to.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!