I was wondering if I can lay ceramic tile over my vinyl flooring. The vinyl is very well attached and not coming up in any spots. Underneath the vinyl is by concrete basement floor so there is not going to be any flex there.
Just wondering if this is possible or something that should be done.
The vinyl really should come out. It has to if it is cushion backed. If it has wax on it the thinset wont adhere properly and the tile will come loose. It may be hiding small cracks in the slab that can transmit upward to the tile causing it to crack in the future. The vinyl can shrink over time causing movement that can be deadly to the tile. The vinyl in my brother's house shrunk 3 to 4 inches over about 7 years. Some say vinyl is a good slip sheet but the fact that it does move and shrink, the fact that it was not designed to be a slip sheet and the fact that it is not constructed to be a slip sheet makes it not a good slip sheet. Period.
Do I need a new base before installing ceramic tile?
Porcelain tile over existing ceramic tile
Ceramic Tile Installation Over Vinyl Flooring
Subfloor and mastic question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?