I was wondering if I can lay ceramic tile over my vinyl flooring. The vinyl is very well attached and not coming up in any spots. Underneath the vinyl is by concrete basement floor so there is not going to be any flex there.
Just wondering if this is possible or something that should be done.
The vinyl really should come out. It has to if it is cushion backed. If it has wax on it the thinset wont adhere properly and the tile will come loose. It may be hiding small cracks in the slab that can transmit upward to the tile causing it to crack in the future. The vinyl can shrink over time causing movement that can be deadly to the tile. The vinyl in my brother's house shrunk 3 to 4 inches over about 7 years. Some say vinyl is a good slip sheet but the fact that it does move and shrink, the fact that it was not designed to be a slip sheet and the fact that it is not constructed to be a slip sheet makes it not a good slip sheet. Period.
Do I need a new base before installing ceramic tile?
Porcelain tile over existing ceramic tile
Ceramic Tile Installation Over Vinyl Flooring
Subfloor and mastic question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes