We're completing plans for a front porch (with roof) on our Garrison Colonial. The plan is very straightforward. The porch will be 30 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep. with three steps running down to the grade. We put out the plan to several subcontractors for bids and all but one came in fine. The one that was out of line was for the gutters. The sub for the gutters (30 ft. straight-run copper plus leaders) was $5,800. Absolutely nothing unusual about this installation. When I saw the number I figured that the guy had accidentally switched his medications. From the limited research I've done, I think this job should be more like $1,000. Am I missing something here or am I correct in assuming that this sub isn't playing with a full deck? Also, I'd appreciate some ballpark per-foot figures (installed) for copper, aluminum, and "leaf guard" type systems. Many thanks for all suggestions.
When I pointed out the ridiculously high estimate to the contractor, his first reaction was "that's what it costs." When I then mentioned the going rate and indicated that I had no intention of giving him a $4,000 gift, he said he'd take another look. Amazing, but true, he pretended that it was a simple clerical error and reduced the estimate to $1,300. Thought he'd get away with the first one, but then acted embarrassed about the "mistake."
Elderly mother ripped off?
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
Replacing gutters and fascia boards
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love