The Best Christmas Tree Stands for Every Size of Evergreen
Keep freshly cut Christmas trees of all sizes safe, upright, and well-watered with the right stand.
With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it can be easy to forget one of the most crucial elements of a safe, peaceful season: a secure stand for your live Christmas tree. Putting an evergreen strung with delicate ornaments and lights into a shaky, shoddy base is an accident waiting to happen, particularly when excited children and pets are in the picture. Fortunately, there’s a good assortment of sturdy, easy-to-assemble stands on the market for all different sizes of trees, from miniature Norfolk pines to towering Balsam firs. Keep reading to learn how these products tick all of the boxes that the best Christmas tree stand should.
- BEST FOR BIG TREES: Krinner’s Christmas Tree Genie XXL
- BEST FOR SMALL TREES: Cinco Classic Christmas Tree Stand
- BEST FOR TABLETOP TREES: Cinco Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand
- BEST DESIGN: JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand
- EASIEST TO SET UP: Good Tidings Emerald Innovations Swivel Straight Tree Stand
Know Before You Go Shopping
There are three main factors to consider when comparing options to find the best Christmas tree stand:
- Stability. All tree stands are designed to keep your evergreen upright, with most relying on bolts that you tighten into the trunk. This is generally considered a two-person job, as the tree will not be stable until all the bolts are adjusted. An innovative alternative to the bolt method is a stand that grips the trunk with claws that are tightened via a ratcheting foot pedal.
- Tree size. Stands range in size from tabletop models to XXL for trees up to 12 feet tall, with a 7-inch trunk diameter. So before you shop, make sure to note both your tree’s height and circumference. Tree weight is also a factor in what stand to buy. If your tree has thick branches and will be weighed down with numerous ornaments, consider purchasing a heavier tree stand. Most tree stands weigh in at 2 to 3 pounds but you’ll find others at 9, 10, up to 23 pounds.
- Water supply. To prolong the great green looks of your tree, a stand should include a reservoir for supplying water. According to the Department of Agriculture at Penn State, a tree stand’s reservoir should contain 1 quart of water per inch of trunk diameter. For example, a large tree with a 6-inch diameter trunk needs a reservoir containing 1.5 gallons of water. Replenish water daily during the first week, and monitor the water levels carefully for each succeeding week.
Our Top Picks
Here are our picks for the five best Christmas tree stands, selected from satisfied customer reviews.
1. BEST FOR BIG TREES: Krinner’s Christmas Tree Genie XXL ($75.85)
This best-selling Christmas tree stand—also available in medium and large sizes—is one of the most heavy-duty models on the market, weighing in at a hefty 18 pounds. This allows it to provide maximum support for towering trees up to 12 feet tall and with trunks up to 7 inches in diameter. It’s also the brand that boasts the foot-pedal tightening method, making for truly stress-free set up. Keep your tree hydrated with the Genie’s 2.5-gallon leak-proof reservoir. Earning 4.7 out of five stars from more than 1,500 customer reviews on Amazon, the Tree Genie comes with a three-year warranty. Available on Amazon.
2. BEST FOR SMALL TREES: Cinco Classic Christmas Tree Stand ($34.65)
Though made of plastic, the nicely priced Cinco Express provides adequate stability for 6- to 10-foot tall Christmas trees, according to Amazon shoppers who give it 4.2 out of five stars. It weighs 2.77 pounds, holds an ample 2 gallons of water, and has plastic screw knobs to help make securing the tree easier. However, some customers complain that the screws don’t wear as well as those of more expensive models. Available on Amazon.
3. BEST FOR TABLETOP TREES: Cinco Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand ($15.49)
For a small tree (less than 4 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of at least 3 inches), the Good Tiding’s tabletop stand has all the features of larger models, including stabilizing, adjustable plastic bolts, and a .75-gallon water reservoir. It’s made of durable, rust-proof, high-impact polypropylene and weighs a mere 1.33 pounds. Its budget-friendly price is just another reason it gets 3.8 out of five stars. Available on Amazon.
4. BEST DESIGN: JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand ($70.69)
For stability and sleekness, it’s hard to beat Jack Post’s welded tubular steel tree stand, which weighs a mere 2.3 pounds. With 4.5 stars on Amazon, customers rave about its sturdiness and effectiveness. The large size accommodates trees from 4 to 12 feet tall with its 1.7-gallon capacity water reservoir and can tolerate outdoor temperatures and weather conditions without being damaged. There’s no assembly is required: Simply fill the water reservoir and place your tree inside the metal bowl, then tighten bolts until the trunk is secured. The company also offers prompt customer support if needed. Available on Amazon.
5. EASIEST TO SET UP: Good Tidings Emerald Innovations Swivel Straight Tree Stand ($71.37)
If your Christmases past are haunted by difficulties with tree set-up, this may be just the stand for you! In addition to adjustable bolts that clamp the trunk into place, there’s also a “swivel” feature that enables you to straighten any tree up to 10 feet tall into its ideal position after it is raised. Made of an industrial-grade polymer material that won’t rust or damage floors, it’s a hefty 9.4 pounds and has an extra-large water reservoir—up to 3.5 gallons—with drainage slots to prevent spills during disassembly. Happy reviewers who gave it 3.9 out of five stars call it “a Christmas miracle.” Available on Amazon.