The Best Christmas Tree Stands for Every Size of Evergreen
Keep freshly cut Christmas trees of all sizes safe, upright, and well-watered with the right stand.
Putting an evergreen strung with delicate ornaments and lights into a shaky, shoddy base is an accident waiting to happen, particularly when excited children and pets are in the picture. Fortunately, there’s a good assortment of sturdy, easy-to-assemble stands on the market for all different sizes of trees, from miniature Norfolk pines to towering Balsam firs. Keep reading to learn how these products tick all of the boxes that the best Christmas tree stand should.
- BEST FOR BIG TREES: Krinner’s Christmas Tree Genie XXL
- BEST FOR SMALL TREES: Cinco Classic Christmas Tree Stand
- BEST FOR TABLETOP TREES: Cinco Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand
- BEST DESIGN: JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand
- EASIEST SET UP: Good Tidings Emerald Innovations Swivel Straight Tree Stand
Know Before You Go Shopping
There are three main factors to consider when comparing options to find the best Christmas tree stand:
- Stability. All tree stands are designed to keep your evergreen upright, with most relying on bolts that you tighten into the trunk. This is generally considered a two-person job, as the tree will not be stable until all the bolts are adjusted. An innovative alternative to the bolt method is a stand that grips the trunk with claws that are tightened via a ratcheting foot pedal.
- Tree size. Stands range in size from tabletop models to XXL for trees up to 12 feet tall, with a 7-inch trunk diameter. So before you shop, make sure to note both your tree’s height and circumference. Tree weight is also a factor in what stand to buy. If your tree has thick branches and will be weighed down with numerous ornaments, consider purchasing a heavier tree stand. Most tree stands weigh in at 2 to 3 pounds but you’ll find others at 9, 10, up to 23 pounds.
- Water supply. To prolong the great green looks of your tree, a stand should include a reservoir for supplying water. According to the Department of Agriculture at Penn State, a tree stand’s reservoir should contain 1 quart of water per inch of trunk diameter. For example, a large tree with a 6-inch diameter trunk needs a reservoir containing 1.5 gallons of water. Replenish water daily during the first week, and monitor the water levels carefully for each succeeding week.
Our Top Picks
Here are our picks for the five best Christmas tree stands, selected from satisfied customer reviews.
1. BEST FOR BIG TREES: Krinner’s Christmas Tree Genie XXL
The Krinner’s Christmas Tree Genie—also available in medium and large sizes—is one of the most heavy-duty models on the market, weighing in at 18 pounds. Its heft allows the stand to provide maximum support for towering trees up to 12 feet tall, with trunks up to 7 inches in diameter. This is also the stand that boasts the foot-pedal tightening method—a long-awaited, much-needed innovation in the category.
2. BEST FOR MID-SIZE TREES: Cinco Classic Christmas Tree Stand
Don’t be put off by the fact that it’s made of plastic. The nicely priced Cinco Express provides more than enough support and stability for 6- to 10-foot tall Christmas trees. This Cinco model weighs 2.77 pounds, holds an ample 2 gallons of water, and has plastic screw knobs for securing the tree in place.
3. BEST FOR SMALL TREES: Good Tidings Tabletop Christmas Tree Stand
For a tree small enough to fit on a tabletop—that is, a tree less than 4 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of at least 3 inches—opt for the Good Tidings stand. Made of durable, rust-proof, high-impact polypropylene and weighing only 1.33 pounds, this budget-friendly, this offers all the features of larger models at a fraction of the size.
4. BEST DESIGN: JACK-POST Welded Steel Christmas Tree Stand
Christmas tree stands are not known for their looks. On that score, it’s hard to beat Jack Post’s welded tubular steel tree stand. Despite its light weight, the stand is incredibly sturdy and able to accommodate trees up to a whopping 12 feet tall. There’s no assembly required: Simply fill the water reservoir and place your tree inside the bowl, then tighten the bolts until the tree trunk is fixed in place.
5. EASIEST SETUP: Good Tidings Emerald Innovations Swivel Straight Tree Stand
If your Christmases past are haunted by memories of struggling to set up the tree, this may be just the stand for you. In addition to adjustable bolts that clamp the trunk into place, there’s also a “swivel” feature that enables you to straighten any tree up to 10 feet tall into its ideal position after it is raised. Made of an industrial-grade polymer material that won’t rust or damage floors, it’s a hefty 9.4 pounds and has an extra-large water reservoir—up to 3.5 gallons—with drainage slots to prevent spills during disassembly.