Having an additional mattress is great for sleepovers and unexpected visits, but there’s just one problem: space! When space is limited, a standard Murphy bed is the perfect compact solution. Also known as a wall bed, a fold-down bed, or a pull-down bed, these full-size beds tuck away into a wall, closet, or cabinet when not in use.
The best Murphy beds easily convert a living room or a home office into a guest bedroom while being safe, sturdy, and comfortable. Keep reading for the features to look for in the best Murphy bed and explore some of the top picks on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: Bestar Pur Queen Wood Wall Bed
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Zipcode Design Colquitt Murphy Bed
- BEST LUXURY: The Lori Wall Bed
- BEST FOR SMALL SPACES: Latitude Run Kadeja Bed
- BEST CABINET: Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Cabinet Bed
- BEST HORIZONTAL: Pyper Marketing Ash Bristol Storage Murphy Bed
- BEST WITH DESK: Xtraroom Avalon Murphy Bed
- BEST SLIDE OUT: Canora Grey Audet Solid Wood Storage Murphy Bed
- BEST DIY KIT: Create-A-Bed Vertical Deluxe Murphy Bed Kit
- BEST FOR KIDS: Brayden Studio Walley Storage Bed
How We Chose the Best Murphy Beds
A new Murphy bed can be a costly purchase, so when opting for a wall-mounted version, it’s even more crucial to buy a high-quality and long-lasting bed. Safety and durability were front of mind when we considered the best Murphy beds due to their high cost and the fact that they mount on the wall.
Wall-mounted Murphy beds must be secure, and uninstalling the bed can be a big job, so it’s important to find a Murphy bed that is safe to use and built to last. We also considered ease of opening and closing, prioritizing beds with easy-to-use opening mechanisms.
Standard Murphy beds are usually chosen for their space-saving designs. Keeping that in mind, we selected several beds with extra features, including built-in desks, sofas, and storage, as well as some cabinet and portable Murphy beds. Lastly, design was an important aspect we considered, and we looked for classic designs with attractive finishes to suit most homes.
Our Top Picks
Give overnight guests some restful shut-eye with a comfortable Murphy bed. The following list of recommendations includes some of the best Murphy beds on the market. These units are comfortable, durable, and easy to use, temporarily converting any room into a cozy bedroom.
Murphy beds can be a pricey investment, but their smart, space-saving design is well worth it for many. This affordable Murphy bed from Bestar features a pared-down design—no extra bells and whistles means a more comparatively budget-friendly price.
Although simple, this Murphy bed doesn’t lack in style. When folded up, it features a wood finish with a Shaker-inspired trim and sleek metal handles. Since it doesn’t have additional shelving, it’s a great choice for a room with limited wall space.
A dual-piston system makes it easy to open and close the bed. When folded down, guests can take advantage of the slatted mattress support system for a restful night’s sleep.
- Material: Particleboard
- Dimensions: 92 inches long by 64.6 inches wide by 87.9 inches high
- Weight: 402 pounds
- The compact carcass makes it ideal for rooms where space is limited
- With its clean, simple lines and 3 color choices, it suits almost any decor
- Dual-piston mechanism makes it a breeze to open and close
- The need to fix to wall studs or masonry may affect positioning
- No mattress is included, so that additional cost will need to be factored in
Get the Bestar Murphy bed at Amazon or Lowe’s.
This simple and sleek Murphy bed from Zipcode Design is a cost-friendly pull-down bed for weekend guests and visiting family. The particleboard build comes in a natural bark gray color. A wood-grain pattern and basic handles offer a neutral look that will suit any space.
In storage mode, this bed is 20 inches long by 58.6 inches wide by 83.6 inches high. The dual-piston system makes opening the bed smooth and safe. The bed mode fits a full-size mattress up to 10 inches thick, which sits on top of a wooden slat base for added comfort.
- Material: Manufactured wood and metal
- Dimensions: 87.3 inches long (when bed is open) by 58.6 inches wide by 83.6 inches high
- Weight: 314 pounds
- Comes in multiple colorways and full or queen sizes to accommodate most bedrooms, living rooms, and offices
- 1,000-pound weight capacity; can hold multiple adults or children
- Dual-piston system makes this bed easy to pull down or retract up
- Compacts into a 20-inch-long unit when collapsed; does not take up a lot of space when not in use
- Mattress is not included with purchase; may not be ideal for some users
- Some assembly required before use; may require more than 1 set of hands
Get the Zipcode Design Murphy bed at Wayfair.
Since they are lower in height, horizontal Murphy beds are the best choice for rooms with low ceilings. With the Lori Wall Bed, shoppers can choose their orientation. The horizontal full or queen option measures only 63.75 inches high, so it’s ideal for those tight on space.
Made of 100 percent solid wood, the Lori bed is a solid and attractive option. Although made from wood, the bed is affordable, saving costs by opting for a manual lifting system instead of a piston-lifting mechanism. On the downside, it takes two people to open and close the bed.
Instead of a slatted system, this bed features a supportive platform base for uniform support so the mattress won’t sag. When folded up, the bottom of the bed turns into decorative storage shelving so you can keep knickknacks or photos on display when the bed isn’t in use.
- Material: Solid wood
- Dimensions: 23.25 inches long (when closed) by 82.75 inches wide by 63.75 inches high
- Weight: Not displayed
- Horizontal Murphy bed; compact height is suitable for rooms with low ceilings
- 100 percent wood construction is durable and long lasting
- Simple and attractive design can fit in most users’ current spaces
- Closed bed doubles as shelving or for added storage space
- No lifting mechanism; requires 2 people to lift
- Mattress not included with purchase; may need to be bought separately
Get the Lori Murphy bed at Lori Beds.
The elegant Latitude Run Kadeja bed has a wall- and floor-mounted design. This Murphy bed features a dual-piston lifting mechanism for a smooth lifting and falling motion, and the Euroslat mattress foundation accommodates most queen-size mattresses. The bed also has a steel frame and folding leg to support over 1,000 pounds, including the mattress.
Made with manufactured wood, this top pick comes in dark gray, chocolate, and white colorways to match a variety of styles. Though this bed is stylish and useful, it may take more than one set of hands to assemble. Luckily, all of the hardware required for assembly is included.
- Material: Manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 85.4 inches long (bed down) by 58.7 inches wide by 83.7 inches high
- Weight: Unlisted
- Mounts to the wall and floor; supports up to 1,000 pounds of weight
- Steel frame and folded legs provide reliable durability for long-term use
- Comes in multiple colorways to suit any users’ current space
- Euroslat will not stay down without the help of the mattress
- No mattress included with purchase; may need to be purchased separately
- May not be suitable for children or pets under 50 pounds
Get the Latitude Run Murphy Bed at Wayfair.
Murphy beds tend to look unassuming, disguising themselves as cabinets or storage chests during the day. Made from solid hardwood with a rich cherry finish, this wooden cabinet bed from Night & Day Furniture is compact, durable, and stylish.
In storage mode, the bed measures only 26.4 inches long by 64.1 inches wide by 36.6 inches high. The faux handles and panels make it look like a handsome storage chest. Inside, there’s space to fit the included foldable mattress, bed sheets, and pillows. Locking hinges keep everything in place.
In bed mode, the chest transforms into a queen-size bed with a short wooden headboard and sturdy feet. The bed includes a 6-inch trifold gel memory-foam mattress, bringing comfort to this compact bed design.
- Material: Solid wood
- Dimensions: 80.3 inches long by 64.1 inches wide by 25.7 inches high
- Weight: 172 pounds
- Solid hardwood construction with rich cherry or chocolate-brown finishes
- Converts from cabinet to a stable bed without needing wall fixings
- Includes a tri-fold queen mattress with gel memory foam to reduce overheating
- Folding mattress may not be as comfortable as a nonfolding alternatives
Get the Night & Day Furniture Murphy bed at Amazon.
For those who want a stylish addition to a guest room or office, the Pyper Marketing Ash Bristol Murphy bed could be just the ticket. This versatile, horizontal bed comes with a built-in cabinet, a headboard, and a queen-size memory-foam mattress, all while coming in three color options, including ash, charcoal, and white. Plus, there is no box spring required for ample comfort for guests.
To use, simply employ the fold-out legs and felt-covered runners to support the fold-down frontal panel. This bed is capable of holding up to 500 pounds. Though this solid- and manufactured-wood option does require some assembly, it comes with all the necessary, and durable, hardware for assembling.
- Material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 81 inches long by 64 inches wide by 49 inches high
- Weight: 245 pounds
- Decorative cabinet-style bed comes with a useful storage drawer
- A comfortable memory-foam mattress and supportive headboard are included
- Sturdy extending rails and base support up to 500-pound weight capacity
- Although not complicated, several steps are required to get the bed ready
Get the Pyper Marketing Murphy bed at Wayfair.
A hideaway bed can be very useful for occasional guests, but apart from those models that have shelves, most have limited practical use when closed. The Xtraroom Avalon differs from the norm in that it also offers valuable desk space, so the same area could be used for the kids to do homework or for the adults as a home office. What’s more, the clever mechanism means that as long as items on the desk are under 16 inches tall, they don’t have to be removed when the bed is lowered.
A four-piston lever mechanism gently lowers the bed into place with minimal effort. The slatted frame provides a supportive base for a queen mattress, although this will need to be sourced separately. While Xtraroom suggests the assembly is simple, there are a large number of parts, and the finished unit is quite heavy, so some assistance is recommended.
- Material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 96.625 inches long by 67.75 inches wide by 93.75 inches high
- Weight: 378 pounds
- An attractive dual-purpose piece of furniture that offers valuable desk space
- Usually the bed can be lowered without needing to clear the desk
- The use of 4 pistons makes it easy to open and close
- Only available in white, which will mean it’s not suitable for all decors
- Assembly is best done by 2 people and will require time and patience
Get the Xtraroom Murphy bed at Wayfair.
Crafted from solid rubberwood, this slide-out cabinet Murphy bed from Canora Grey is another space-saving pick. Since it’s a freestanding cabinet, there’s no need for drilling or mounting to a wall. To convert to bed mode, this queen bed has an easy-to-use slide-out mechanism—no heavy lifting involved.
In storage mode, this compact cabinet measures 24.375 inches long by 62.5 inches wide by 40.75 inches high. The sturdy solid-wood chest has a simple white finish and plain handles to fit into any room. Included with the bed is a queen-size folding memory-foam mattress that fits inside the cabinet for easy storage.
- Material: Solid wood
- Dimensions: 80.12 inches long by 62.5 inches wide by 40.75 inches high
- Weight: 361 pounds
- Freestanding Murphy bed; space-saving design has easy-to-use slide-out mechanism
- Solid-rubberwood construction in 3 colorways for versatile decor matching
- A folding memory-foam mattress and useful storage drawer are included
- Poor packaging or handling has led to some buyers receiving damaged goods
Get the Canora Grey Murphy bed at Wayfair.
DIY enthusiasts can create their own pull-down bed with a Murphy bed kit. Designed by Create-A-Bed, this kit includes the necessary hardware to install a vertical, wall-mounted Murphy bed, leaving the bed frame and storage cabinet design up to the installer.
To make the process more accessible, an included step-by-step DVD and illustrated instruction booklet breaks down the building process. This kit is for a full-size bed, but twin- and queen-size options are also available.
This kit includes the necessary mounting hardware, two pistons, and two bed-frame legs, all of which are made from sturdy black steel. The bed frame, cabinet, and mattress are not included. Users can build their own bed frame or hire a woodworking company to create a custom bed—perfect for those who are looking for an affordable, one-of-a-kind Murphy bed design.
- Material: Steel
- Dimensions: 83 inches long by 59.88 inches wide by 82.125 inches high
- Weight: Depends on frame materials
- An excellent option for DIY enthusiasts who want a custom bed
- High-quality U.S.-made components come at a very affordable price
- Includes access to a comprehensive instructional video, booklets, and templates
- Requires considerably more work than assembling a factory-made Murphy bed
- The kit includes hardware only, not the wood for the frame or a mattress
Get the Create-a-Bed Murphy bed kit at Amazon.
Sleepovers and visits from relatives call for a Murphy bed that is suitable for kids. For when that happens, rely on the Brayden Studio Walley storage bed. This versatile option comes in either a full or queen size and has a headboard, two fixed and three adjustable shelves, and three drawers for storing toys, books, electronics, and even snacks for sleepovers. Plus, there is no box spring required for comfort and durability.
While there is some assembly required, this steel and laminated engineered-wood model has an underbed clearance of 9.5 inches for storage if needed, and the dual-mounted design provides stability and safety. For added peace of mind, this bed comes with a dual-piston system for pulling the bed down or pushing it up easily. Finally, this option comes in three different color options to suit most users’ current spaces and has a 1,000-pound weight capacity.
- Material: Steel and laminated engineered wood
- Dimensions: 94.375 inches long by 18.25 inches wide (when closed) by 83.6 inches high
- Weight: 569 pounds
- Comes in either a full or queen size in multiple colorways
- Includes 2 fixed and 3 adjustable shelves as well as 3 drawers
- Dual-mount design keeps the bed in place; 1,000-pound weight capacity
- Dual piston system allows you to pull it down or push it up easily
- Mattress not included with purchase; may not be ideal for some users
- May not be suitable for toddlers or very young children
- Heavyweight construction may require more than 1 set of hands to assemble
Get the Brayden Studio Murphy bed at Wayfair.
What to Consider When Choosing a Murphy Bed
Murphy beds come in traditional wall-mounted units or freestanding folding designs. A high-quality Murphy bed is compact, comfortable, and easy to use. Consider the size, orientation, frame material, and safety features when selecting the right bed for the chosen space. Other features, including additional storage space and a foldable mattress, can sweeten the deal.
Full- and queen-size wall beds are a common and popular option because they can provide enough space for two guests. Twin and twin XL wall beds are also easy to find; these beds can only accommodate one guest but take up much less space. King-size Murphy beds are less common due to their large size and the weight of the mattress.
The ideal size depends on the available space and the bed’s intended use. Make sure to consider both the stored and expanded size of the Murphy bed to ensure there’s enough wall and floor space for it to fit properly.
Pull-Down vs. Folding
Traditional pull-down Murphy beds attach to the wall; the mattress sits on a wall-mounted frame that pivots vertically for storage. These wall beds usually tuck into a wall recess, a closet, or a shelving unit that hides the bed frame inside.
A wall-mounted standard Murphy bed gives the user the option to choose the mattress, a plus for picky sleepers. Installation is more complicated with these bed types—the bed will need to be drilled and mounted to the wall.
Folding or chest-cabinet Murphy beds store in a compact, freestanding cabinet that resembles a storage chest. Since these frames don’t attach to the wall, they’re much easier to set up—there’s no drilling required. This freestanding Murphy bed type usually features a bed frame that folds or slides into the cabinet for storage.
These wall beds often include a custom-fit multipiece mattress inside the chest. This offers less flexibility to select or replace the mattress. These foldable mattresses also tend to be thinner than regular mattresses. A mattress topper, however, could make a world of difference.
Murphy beds come in vertical and horizontal orientations. Most Murphy beds come in a vertical layout and mount with the head section of the bed closest to the wall. Horizontal Murphy beds mount with the long side of the bed closest to the wall. Some Murphy beds can be installed in either orientation, offering flexibility for those who need it. When choosing orientation, consider the room’s shape and size, the ceiling height, and the clearance space.
Vertical Murphy beds take up around 6 to 8 feet of wall height when in storage mode. For this reason, they’re well suited for rooms with average to high ceilings. When measuring for a vertical bed, consider ceiling fixtures like lights and fans to make sure the bed has enough clearance when changing from storage to bed mode. When in bed mode, vertical designs project farther from the wall and take up more perpendicular floor space.
Horizontal Murphy beds fit into shorter cabinets, making these beds ideal for rooms with low ceilings. Since their shorter side folds down, they don’t project as far into the floor space when in bed mode. A horizontal Murphy bed is a great choice for narrow or cramped room layouts.
Murphy beds are made from a range of durable materials, including metal, solid wood, plywood, particleboard, and MDF.
- Metal: Metal frames are sturdy and long lasting. Many Murphy beds with metal frames store on wooden shelves or cabinets.
- Solid wood: Solid-wood frames are made from solid woods like oak, cedar, and mahogany. These frames are very sturdy, strong, and have a beautiful finish.
- Plywood: Unlike solid wood, plywood is made out of multiple thin layers of wood glued together into boards. Plywood tends to be less sturdy, but it’s a more cost-friendly option compared with solid wood.
- Particleboard: Particleboard is composed of compressed wood particles rather than thin layers like plywood. It can resemble solid wood in appearance and feel and is a more affordable option; however, it’s not as durable as solid wood or plywood.
- MDF: Medium-density fiberboard is another option that’s made from wood particles, but from finer wood particles than those found in particleboard. Because of the fine particles, MDF is denser and more durable than particleboard.
True to their space-saving design, some Murphy beds include storage features to make them more convenient to use. The most common option is storage space along one or both sides of a wall-mounted bed. These come in the form of shelves, cabinets, and closets, and are useful for storing bulky bedding or guest items.
These storage features take up more wall space but give the bed a more seamless look. Some wall-mounted beds even fold up to reveal desks or couches for use during the day.
Foldable cabinet Murphy beds tend to be more compact than wall-mounted beds. These designs don’t usually accommodate extra storage—their compact size has just enough storage space to fit the folding bed frame and the mattress. Sometimes these models will allow for some bedding inside the cabinet as well.
Instead of a lumpy sleeper-sofa mattress or a thin futon, most wall-mounted Murphy beds fit a regular mattress up to 12 inches thick. It’s best to use a regular mattress in pull-down beds instead of a foldable mattress or a futon. Foldable mattresses tend to collapse when the bed is in storage mode.
Freestanding cabinet Murphy beds often include a foldable mattress. These custom mattresses are designed to fold in just the right way to store in the cabinet or chest. Most foldable mattress options are made of foam. They tend to have a thinner design, and some users may feel the separate sections of the mattress. A heated mattress pad could be added for a touch of luxury, though it may not fit within the Murphy bed alongside the standard foldable one.
A high-quality and properly installed Murphy bed is safe for the whole family. Murphy beds include a number of safety features to make sure the bed stays in place. Most designs have a counterbalance system that also allows them to fold up and down easily. Modern Murphy beds have piston lifts or torsion springs for smooth and safe operation.
The piston or hinge system helps to hold the bed in place, preventing it from opening or closing on its own. As an extra measure of security, some wall-mounted Murphy beds have straps or locks to secure the bed in place in storage mode.
Most Murphy beds provide easy access to a full-size bed, without the full-size footprint. They offer a more permanent and sturdy alternative to a rollaway bed or an air mattress without taking up too much space. Still looking for the best Murphy bed to fit your needs? Keep reading for answers to the most frequently asked questions about these space-friendly beds.
Q. Are all Murphy beds the same size?
No, Murphy beds are commonly available in twin, full, and queen bed sizes. Given these size options, users can put Murphy beds in bedrooms, offices, living spaces, basements, and more for overnight guests.
Q. How deep are Murphy beds?
Most wall-mounted Murphy beds are around 16 to 21 inches deep and can accommodate regular or foldable mattresses. But, be advised that vertical Murphy beds are typically thicker than their horizontal counterparts. Plus, any storage compartments on the Murphy bed may add more depth.
Q. What kind of mattress fits on a Murphy bed?
The ideal mattress size varies from bed to bed, so it’s best to check the manufacturer’s recommended mattress size for depth and weight capacity. However, many Murphy beds on the market are made to withstand the weight of a standard mattress.
Q. Can you install a Murphy bed by yourself?
In most cases, yes, a confident DIYer can install most Murphy beds, or even create their own bed. Just make sure you have the right equipment and a partner to help. If the manufacturer recommends professional installation or you’re unsure about doing the job, it’s best to hire a professional to make sure the bed is installed safely.
Q. How long do Murphy beds last?
Since Murphy beds need to be pulled out and put away with each use, they tend to wear out faster than a regular bed frame. Most Murphy beds can last 15 years or more, depending on how often they are used. Some Murphy beds that are used very little may even last for 20+ years.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.