Having an additional mattress is great for sleepovers and unexpected visits, but there’s just one problem: space! When space is limited, a Murphy bed is the perfect compact solution. Also known as a wall bed, a fold-down bed, or a pull-down bed, these full-size beds tuck away into a wall, closet, or cabinet when not in use.
The best Murphy beds easily convert a living room or a home office into a guest bedroom while being safe, sturdy, and comfortable. Keep reading for the features to look for in the best Murphy bed and explore some of the top picks on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: Latitude Run Kadeja Bed
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Foundstone Caramel Caribou Queen Murphy Bed
- BEST FOR SMALL SPACES: Bestar Pur Queen Wood Wall Bed
- BEST CABINET: Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Cabinet Bed
- BEST HORIZONTAL: Pyper Marketing Low Profile Storage Murphy Bed
- BEST WITH DESK: Xtraroom Avalon Murphy Bed
- BEST SLIDE OUT: Canora Grey Audet Solid Wood Storage Murphy Bed
- BEST DIY KIT: Create-A-Bed Vertical Deluxe Murphy Bed Kit
- BEST FOR KIDS: Harriet Bee Berowalt Storage Murphy Bed
How We Chose the Best Murphy Beds
A new Murphy bed can be a costly purchase, so when opting for a wall-mounted version, it’s even more crucial to buy a high-quality and long-lasting bed. Safety and durability were front of mind when we considered the best Murphy beds due to their high cost and the fact that they mount on the wall.
Wall-mounted Murphy beds must be secure, and uninstalling the bed can be a big job, so it’s important to find a Murphy bed that is safe to use and built to last. We also considered ease of opening and closing, prioritizing beds with easy-to-use opening mechanisms.
Murphy beds are usually chosen for their space-saving designs. Keeping that in mind, we selected several beds with extra features, including built-in desks, sofas, and storage, as well as some cabinet and portable Murphy beds. Lastly, design was an important aspect we considered, and we looked for classic designs with attractive finishes to suit most homes.
Our Top Picks
Give overnight guests some restful shut-eye with a comfortable Murphy bed. The following list of recommendations includes some of the best Murphy beds on the market. These units are comfortable, durable, and easy to use, temporarily converting any room into a cozy bedroom.
The elegant Latitude Run Kadeja Bed has a wall- and floor-mounted design. This Murphy bed features a dual-piston lifting mechanism for a smooth lifting and falling motion, and the Euroslat mattress foundation accommodates most queen-size mattresses. The bed also has a steel frame and folding leg to support over 1,000 pounds, including the mattress.
Made with manufactured wood, this top pick comes in dark gray, chocolate, and white colorways to match a variety of styles. Though this bed is stylish and useful, it may take more than one set of hands to assemble. Luckily, all of the hardware required for assembly is included.
- Material: Manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 85.4 inches long (bed down) by 58.7 inches wide by 83.7 inches high
- Weight: Unlisted
- Mounts to the wall and floor; supports up to 1,000 pounds of weight
- Steel frame and folded leg provides reliable durability
- Comes in multiple colorways to suit users’ current space
- Euroslat will not stay down without the help of the mattress
- No mattress included with purchase
- May not be suitable for children or pets under 50 pounds
Get the Latitude Run Murphy Bed at Wayfair.
A set of wheels gives this cabinet Murphy bed from Foundstone even more versatility. In storage mode, the Murphy bed folds into an elegant wooden cabinet with a caramel finish. The cabinet features a plywood core with acacia solids and veneers, blending an affordable build with a classic wood look.
Measuring 82.36 inches long by 64.48 inches wide by 25.20 inches high, this slim cabinet sits on a set of wheels, enabling it to store or set up in any room. The bed arrives completely assembled and ready to use, with a folding queen mattress included. The queen-size mattress system features an upholstered base pad with a cool-gel memory-foam topper for a comfortable sleep.
- Material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 82.36 inches long by 64.48 inches wide by 25.20 inches high
- Weight: 215 pounds
- This stand-alone model doesn’t need to be fixed to wall or floor
- A folding mattress pad with cool-gel memory-foam topper is included
- Comes ready assembled and is easy to roll from room to room
- The folding mattress may not be as comfortable as full-thickness alternatives
Get the Foundstone Murphy bed at Wayfair.
Murphy beds can be a pricey investment, but their smart, space-saving design is well worth it for many. This affordable Murphy bed from Bestar features a pared-down design—no extra bells and whistles means a more comparatively budget-friendly price.
Although simple, this Murphy bed doesn’t lack in style. When folded up, it features a wood finish with a Shaker-inspired trim and sleek metal handles. Since it doesn’t have additional shelving, it’s a great choice for a room with limited wall space.
A dual-piston system makes it easy to open and close the bed. When folded down, guests can take advantage of the slatted mattress support system for a restful night’s sleep.
- Material: Particle board
- Dimensions: 92 inches long by 64.4 inches wide by 87.9 inches high
- Weight: 383 pounds
- The compact carcass makes it ideal for rooms where space is limited
- With its clean, simple lines and 3 color choices, it suits almost any decor
- Dual-piston mechanism makes it a breeze to open and close
- The need to fix to wall studs or masonry may affect positioning
- No mattress is included, so that additional cost will need to be factored in
Get the Bestar Murphy bed at Amazon or Lowe’s.
Murphy beds tend to look unassuming, disguising themselves as cabinets or storage chests during the day. Made from solid hardwood with a rich cherry finish, this wooden cabinet bed from Night & Day is compact, durable, and stylish.
In storage mode, the bed measures only 26.4 inches long by 64.1 inches wide by 36.6 inches high. The faux handles and panels make it look like a handsome storage chest. Inside, there’s space to fit the included foldable mattress, bed sheets, and pillows. Locking hinges keep everything in place.
In bed mode, the chest transforms into a queen-size bed with a short wooden headboard and sturdy feet. The bed includes a 6-inch trifold gel memory-foam mattress, bringing comfort to this compact bed design.
- Material: Solid wood
- Dimensions: 80.3 inches long by 64.1 inches wide by 25.7 inches high
- Weight: 172 pounds
- Solid hardwood construction with rich cherry or chocolate-brown finishes
- Converts from cabinet to a stable bed without needing wall fixings
- Includes a tri-fold queen mattress with gel memory foam to reduce overheating
- Folding mattress may not be as comfortable as a nonfolding alternatives
Get the Night & Day Furniture Murphy bed at Amazon.
For those who want a stylish addition to a guest room or office, the Pyper Marketing Low Profile Storage Murphy Bed could be just the ticket. This versatile, horizontal bed comes with a built-in cabinet, a headboard, and a queen-size memory-foam mattress, all while coming in three color options, including ash, charcoal, and white. Plus, there is no box spring required for ample comfort for guests.
To use, simply employ the fold-out legs and felt-covered runners to support the fold-down frontal panel. This bed is capable of holding up to 500 pounds. Though this solid- and manufactured-wood option does require some assembly, it comes with all the necessary, and durable, hardware for assembling.
- Material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 81 inches long by 64 inches wide by 49 inches high
- Weight: 245 pounds
- Decorative cabinet-style bed comes with a useful storage drawer
- A comfortable memory-foam mattress and supportive headboard are included
- Sturdy extending rails and base support up to 500-pound weight capacity
- Although not complicated, several steps are required to get the bed ready
Get the Pyper Marketing Murphy bed at Wayfair.
A hideaway bed can be very useful for occasional guests, but apart from those models that have shelves, most have limited practical use when closed. The Xtraroom Avalon differs from the norm in that it also offers valuable desk space, so the same area could be used for the kids to do homework or for the adults as a home office. What’s more, the clever mechanism means that as long as items on the desk are under 16 inches tall, they don’t have to be removed when the bed is lowered.
A four-piston lever mechanism gently lowers the bed into place with minimal effort. The slatted frame provides a supportive base for a queen mattress, although this will need to be sourced separately. While Xtraroom suggests the assembly is simple, there are a large number of parts, and the finished unit is quite heavy, so some assistance is recommended.
- Material: Solid and manufactured wood
- Dimensions: 96.625 inches long by 67.75 inches wide by 93.75 inches high
- Weight: 378 pounds
- An attractive dual-purpose piece of furniture that offers valuable desk space
- Usually the bed can be lowered without needing to clear the desk
- The use of 4 pistons makes it easy to open and close
- Only available in white, which will mean it’s not suitable for all decors
- Assembly is best done by 2 people and will require time and patience
Get the Xtraroom Murphy bed at Wayfair.
Crafted from solid rubberwood, this slide-out cabinet Murphy bed from Canora Grey is another space-saving pick. Since it’s a freestanding cabinet, there’s no need for drilling or mounting to a wall. To convert to bed mode, this queen bed has an easy-to-use slide-out mechanism—no heavy lifting involved.
In storage mode, this compact cabinet measures 24.375 inches long by 62.5 inches wide by 40.75 inches high. The sturdy solid-wood chest has a simple white finish and plain handles to fit into any room. Included with the bed is a queen-size folding memory-foam mattress that fits inside the cabinet for easy storage.
- Material: Solid wood
- Dimensions: 80.12 inches long by 62.5 inches wide by 40.75 inches high
- Weight: 361 pounds
- Space-saving design has easy-to-use slide-out mechanism
- Solid-rubberwood construction in 3 colorways for versatile decor matching
- A folding memory-foam mattress and useful storage drawer are included
- Poor packaging or handling has led to some buyers receiving damaged goods
Get the Canora Grey Murphy bed at Wayfair.
DIY enthusiasts can create their own pull-down bed with a Murphy bed kit. Designed by Create-A-Bed, this kit includes the necessary hardware to install a vertical, wall-mounted Murphy bed, leaving the bed frame and storage cabinet design up to the installer.
To make the process more accessible, an included step-by-step DVD and illustrated instruction booklet breaks down the building process. This kit is for a full-size bed, but twin- and queen-size options are also available.
This kit includes the necessary mounting hardware, two pistons, and two bed-frame legs, all of which are made from sturdy black steel. The bed frame, cabinet, and mattress are not included. Users can build their own bed frame or hire a woodworking company to create a custom bed—perfect for those who are looking for an affordable, one-of-a-kind Murphy bed design.
- Material: Steel
- Dimensions: 83 inches long by 59.88 inches wide by 82.125 inches high
- Weight: Depends on frame materials
- An excellent option for DIY enthusiasts who want a custom bed
- High-quality U.S.-made components come at a very affordable price
- Includes access to a comprehensive instructional video, booklets, and templates
- Requires considerably more work than assembling a factory-made Murphy bed
The kit includes hardware only, not the wood for the frame or a mattress
Get the Create-a-Bed Murphy bed kit at Amazon.
The Harriet Bee Berowalt Murphy bed follows a popular style. When not in use, it is a compact and attractive cabinet that’s easy to find space for. When needed, the wheeled sections roll out easily, creating either a twin- or queen-size bed. The lower section has a convenient storage drawer.
A couple of features make the Harriet Bee Berowalt Murphy bed particularly appropriate for kids. First, the frame is made of solid rubberwood that is tough enough to take the almost inevitable bumps and knocks from energetic children. Second, the included mattress is 6-inch-thick triple-density foam with a highly durable aerated top layer. Finally, there are two USB and two standard electrical outlets for plugging in toys and games.
Available in three colorways, the Harriet Bee Berowalt Murphy bed would be an equally convenient addition to a studio apartment.
- Material: Solid rubberwood
- Dimensions: 82.5 inches long by 63.625 inches wide by 41 inches high
- Weight: 356 pounds
- The frame is made from solid rubberwood that is both attractive and durable
- A 6-inch-thick mattress composed of 3 layers for maximum comfort is included
- The bed offers 2 USB charging ports and 2 standard electrical outlets
- While assembly isn’t complicated, it is likely to take several hours
- The need for a power supply may impact where the bed is positioned
Get the Harriet Bee Murphy bed at Wayfair.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Murphy Bed
Murphy beds come in traditional wall-mounted units or freestanding folding designs. A high-quality Murphy bed is compact, comfortable, and easy to use. Consider the size, orientation, frame material, and safety features when selecting the right bed for the chosen space. Other features, including additional storage space and a foldable mattress, can sweeten the deal.
Full- and queen-size beds are a common and popular option because they can provide enough space for two guests. Twin and twin XL beds are also easy to find; these beds can only accommodate one guest but take up much less space. King-size Murphy beds are less common due to their large size and the weight of the mattress.
The ideal size depends on the available space and the bed’s intended use. Make sure to consider both the stored and expanded size of the Murphy bed to ensure there’s enough wall and floor space for it to fit properly.
Pull-Down vs. Folding
Traditional pull-down Murphy beds attach to the wall; the mattress sits on a wall-mounted frame that pivots vertically for storage. These wall beds usually tuck into a wall recess, a closet, or a shelving unit that hides the bed frame inside.
A wall-mounted standard Murphy bed gives the user the option to choose the mattress, a plus for picky sleepers. Installation is more complicated with these bed types—the bed will need to be drilled and mounted to the wall.
Folding or chest-cabinet Murphy beds store in a compact, freestanding cabinet that resembles a storage chest. Since these frames don’t attach to the wall, they’re much easier to set up—there’s no drilling required. This freestanding Murphy bed type usually features a bed frame that folds or slides into the cabinet for storage.
These beds often include a custom-fit multipiece mattress inside the chest. This offers less flexibility to select or replace the mattress. These foldable mattresses also tend to be thinner than regular mattresses. A mattress topper, however, could make a world of difference.
Murphy beds come in vertical and horizontal orientations. Most Murphy beds come in a vertical layout and mount with the head section of the bed closest to the wall. Horizontal Murphy beds mount with the long side of the bed closest to the wall. Some Murphy beds can be installed in either orientation, offering flexibility for those who need it. When choosing orientation, consider the room’s shape and size, the ceiling height, and the clearance space.
Vertical Murphy beds take up around 6 to 8 feet of wall height when in storage mode. For this reason, they’re well suited for rooms with average to high ceilings. When measuring for a vertical bed, consider ceiling fixtures like lights and fans to make sure the bed has enough clearance when changing from storage to bed mode. When in bed mode, vertical designs project farther from the wall and take up more perpendicular floor space.
Horizontal Murphy beds fit into shorter cabinets, making these beds ideal for rooms with low ceilings. Since their shorter side folds down, they don’t project as far into the floor space when in bed mode. A horizontal Murphy bed is a great choice for narrow or cramped room layouts.
Murphy beds are made from a range of durable materials, including metal, solid wood, plywood, particleboard, and MDF.
- Metal: Metal frames are sturdy and long lasting. Many Murphy beds with metal frames store on wooden shelves or cabinets.
Solid wood: Solid-wood frames are made from solid woods like oak, cedar, and mahogany. These frames are very sturdy, strong, and have a beautiful finish.
- Plywood: Unlike solid wood, plywood is made out of multiple thin layers of wood glued together into boards. Plywood tends to be less sturdy, but it’s a more cost-friendly option compared with solid wood.
- Particleboard: Particleboard is composed of compressed wood particles rather than thin layers like plywood. It can resemble solid wood in appearance and feel and is a more affordable option; however, it’s not as durable as solid wood or plywood.
- MDF: Medium-density fiberboard is another option that’s made from wood particles, but from finer wood particles than those found in particleboard. Because of the fine particles, MDF is denser and more durable than particleboard.
True to their space-saving design, some Murphy beds include storage features to make them more convenient to use. The most common option is storage space along one or both sides of a wall-mounted bed. These come in the form of shelves, cabinets, and closets, and are useful for storing bulky bedding or guest items.
These storage features take up more wall space but give the bed a more seamless look. Some wall-mounted beds even fold up to reveal desks or couches for use during the day.
Foldable cabinet Murphy beds tend to be more compact than wall-mounted beds. These designs don’t usually accommodate extra storage—their compact size has just enough storage space to fit the folding bed frame and the mattress. Sometimes these models will allow for some bedding inside the cabinet as well.
Instead of a lumpy sleeper-sofa mattress or a thin futon, most wall-mounted Murphy beds fit a regular mattress up to 12 inches thick. It’s best to use a regular mattress in pull-down beds instead of a foldable mattress or a futon. Foldable mattresses tend to collapse when the bed is in storage mode.
Freestanding cabinet Murphy beds often include a foldable mattress. These custom mattresses are designed to fold in just the right way to store in the cabinet or chest. Most foldable mattress options are made of foam. They tend to have a thinner design, and some users may feel the separate sections of the mattress. A heated mattress pad could be added for a touch of luxury, though it may not fit within the Murphy bed alongside the standard foldable one.
A high-quality and properly installed Murphy bed is safe for the whole family. Murphy beds include a number of safety features to make sure the bed stays in place. Most designs have a counterbalance system that also allows them to fold up and down easily. Modern Murphy beds have piston lifts or torsion springs for smooth and safe operation.
The piston or hinge system helps to hold the bed in place, preventing it from opening or closing on its own. As an extra measure of security, some wall-mounted Murphy beds have straps or locks to secure the bed in place in storage mode.
Murphy beds provide easy access to a full-size bed, without the full-size footprint. They offer a more permanent and sturdy alternative to a rollaway bed or an air mattress without taking up too much space. Still looking for the best Murphy bed to fit your needs? Keep reading for answers to the most frequently asked questions about these space-friendly beds.
Q. Are all Murphy beds the same size?
No, Murphy beds are commonly available in twin, full, and queen bed sizes.
Q. How deep are Murphy beds?
Most wall-mounted Murphy beds are around 16 to 20 inches deep and can accommodate a regular mattress.
Q. What kind of mattress fits on a Murphy bed?
The ideal mattress size varies from bed to bed, so it’s best to check the manufacturer’s recommended mattress size for depth and weight.
Q. Can you install a Murphy bed by yourself?
In most cases, yes, a confident DIYer can install most Murphy beds, or even create their own bed. Just make sure you have the right equipment and a partner to help. If the manufacturer recommends professional installation or you’re unsure about doing the job, it’s best to hire a professional to make sure the bed is installed safely.
Q. How long do Murphy beds last?
Since Murphy beds need to be pulled out and put away with each use, they tend to wear out faster than a regular bed frame. Most Murphy beds can last 15 years or more, depending on how often they are used.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.