The 10 Best Kitchen Upgrades to Make in January
January is the perfect time to kickstart a new kitchen project.
Whether your 2023 New Year’s resolution was to spruce up your kitchen, or you’re looking to pick up a new hobby while you’re shacked up inside—there’s no time like the present to kickstart your latest home project.
Don’t know where to start? Luckily, we’ve laid out some of the best January kitchen upgrades worth considering. And to help with the shopping process, we found some deals that may make these kitchen projects even more affordable and sensible. Keep scrolling to get our two cents.
1. Kitchen Table and Chairs
If you’re looking to make a giant splash in your kitchen but don’t have the time to renovate, take on a simple kitchen upgrade and refresh your table and chairs. Those old chairs might be past their prime, or maybe it’s just time for something new. Either way, swapping them out for something fresh can give the kitchen a whole new feel.
- Get the Saybrook 7-pc Dining Set at Raymour and Flanigan for $1,799.95 (Save $200.00)
- Get the Venuti 6 – Person Counter Height Dining Set from Wayfair for $1,000 (Save $333.77)
- Get the East West 5-piece Dining Set from Overstock for $586.99 (Save $56.67)
There are a few great reasons to upgrade your appliances in January. Firstly, anyone with resolutions to become more eco-conscious will find upgrading to efficient appliances does the trick. Plus, some sellers may offer discounts on select appliances (usually those from the previous model year). So, there may be savings on the energy bill and the purchase.
- Get this Maytag Built-in Tall Dishwasher from Home Depot for $699.99 (Save $180.00)
- Get this LG French Door Refrigerator from Home Depot for $1498.00 (Save $601.00)
- Get this GE Range from Home Depot for $678.00 (Save $271.00)
3. Add a Kitchen Island
Want to add storage and prep space in the kitchen? If there isn’t already an island in the room, it might be a good idea to start there. You can DIY your own island from cabinets and countertops, or you can opt to purchase an entire island to totally transform the space.
- Get the Home Styles Americana Island from Home Depot for $671.31 (Save $114.86)
- Get the Americana from Overstock for $588.59 (Save $179.90)
- Get the Loganton Island from Wayfair for $25.999 (Save $30)
4. New Lighting
Depending on the amount of sunlight your kitchen receives, adding new lights to the space can be one of the best kitchen improvements possible. You can swap out an old fixture, install some recessed lighting, or run wires for a new pendant light over the island to make that kitchen really shine.
- Get the Industrial Pendant Lighting from Amazon for $49.99 (Save $10.00)
- Get the Lumary Recessed Lighting from Amazon for $95.99 (Save $24.00)
- Get the 3-Light Oil-rubbed Bronze light from Overstock for $99.99 (Save $14.01)
5. Cabinet and Drawer Hardware
This January kitchen upgrade is all about ease and staying inside on a cold winter afternoon. Cabinet and drawer hardware upgrades can give kitchen cabinets an all-new appearance. They’re usually easy to install, but you can purchase a jig if you need one to simplify the installation. Just note that cabinet hardware rarely goes on sale, so expect to pay full price.
- Get the 4-Pack Liberty Steel Bar 3 in from Home Depot for $22.98 (4-pack)
- Get the Design House Truss from Home Depot for $85.91 (8-pack)
- Get the Liberty Top Ring from Home Depot for $19.93 (10-pack)
Is your backsplash screaming for an upgrade? If so, give it the new look it deserves this winter by installing a DIY-friendly backsplash. This not only protects the walls but also makes messes easier to clean (or contain)—something bound to happen in most kitchens.
- Get the Bright White Subway Tile from Daltile from Home Depot for $1.20 per square foot
- Get the Merola Tile Castillo Sky from Home Depot for $9.88 per square foot (Save $0.52/sq ft)
- Get the MSI Alaska Gray Split Face from Home Depot for $10.67 (Save $2.66/sq ft)
7. Replace the Faucet
Some retailers have significant sales on faucets over the winter, saving shoppers up to 40% off original prices. Hence why changing out the faucet is one of the best kitchen upgrade ideas to tackle in January.
- Get the Glacier Bay Paulina Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet from Home Depot for $71.40 (Save $47.60)
- Get the KRAUS Bolden Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen Faucet from Home Depot for $149.95 (Save $40.00)
- Get the WELLFOR Modern Kitchen Faucet from Lowe’s for $178.53 (Save $47.46)
8. Cabinet Paint
If those old cabinets are feeling tired and worn, it might be time to dress them up with a fresh coat of paint. It’s much less expensive than replacing those perfectly good cabinets.
- Get the Beyond Paint Furniture-Cabinets-and-Countertop from Lowe’s for $109.95 (Save $30.00)
- Get the BEHR PREMIUM Semi-Gloss Enamel Cabinet, Door, and Trim Paint from Home Depot for $52.98
- Get the Valspar Semi-gloss Cabinet & Furniture Paint from Lowe’s for $28.98
9. Kitchen Linens and Towels
Kitchen towels might not sound like an earth-shattering upgrade, but since towels and linens often go on sale in January, it’s a great time to buy them. There are lots of designs, colors, and options to pick from. Choose a set that matches the kitchen’s color palette or ones that add a pop of color.
- Shop Kitchen Table Linens and Towels Deals at Target
- Shop Kitchen Table Linens and Towels Deals at Macy’s
- Get the KitchenAid Albany Dishcloth from Wayfair for $20.62 (Save $8.37)
10. Install a Prep Sink
If you have a permanently-installed island, you can make the most of your workspace by installing a prep sink. This is handy for washing fruits and vegetables during prep work or for washing hands while preparing meats. It does require a bit of work running the plumbing and drainage to the sink, but it’s worth it. Plus, there are some great January deals on sinks.
- Get the Rivet Stainless Steel Sink from Home Depot for $399.95 (Save $75.04)
- Get the Bocchi Sotto Bar Sink from Lowe’s for $189.47 (Save $44.53)
- Get the HOUZER Hospitality Prep Sink from Amazon for $49.01 (Save $14.44)
The prices listed here are accurate as of publication on January 20, 2023