New Report Reveals Mosquito Infestations Are the Worst in These 50 U.S. Cities
One metro area claimed the top spot for the third year in a row.
Orkin, one of the best pest control companies, has released its yearly assessment of the top mosquito cities in the United States. For the third consecutive year, Los Angeles claimed the number one spot. Chicago took the number two spot, followed by New York City. Atlanta moved up two spots from the year prior to claim fourth place, and the Dallas/Fort Worth area jumped a spot to be named the fifth most mosquito-infested city.
Memphis, TN, made the largest jump, moving up 15 spots since last year to become 31st on the list. Oklahoma City; Austin, TX; Spokane, WA; Bakersfield, CA; and Fresno, CA, are all newcomers among the most mosquito-infested cities. Orkin built the list based on residential and commercial mosquito control treatments and services its technicians offered between April 1, 2022, and March 31, 2023.
What to Know About Mosquito Season
Mosquito season typically takes place between May and September, when temperatures tend to be over 68 degrees. However, this depends on the region, as some areas of the country may be hospitable to mosquitoes year-round.
They’re attracted to shallow water sources, which provide the ideal habitat for female mosquitoes to lay their eggs. Getting ahead of prevention and treatment can be key in preventing mosquito infestations: Mosquitoes reproduce and evolve rapidly, and only need a few days to a couple of weeks to transform from larvae to adults.
There are over 200 species of mosquitoes across the United States. Mosquitoes may be common and getting bitten might be a regular occurrence, but these insects are known to be potentially dangerous since they can carry vector-borne diseases such as West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and Zika—illnesses that affect humans and, in some cases, pets.
Tips for Preventing and Getting Rid of Mosquitoes
Individuals can take several key steps in preventing mosquito infestations around their homes, making the area less hospitable to these insects. Some of these steps include, but are not limited to:
- Eliminating standing water sources.
- Regularly cleaning gutters and gutter guards.
If these insects have already made your property their home, additional steps may be needed to get rid of mosquitoes:
- Maintain the lawn regularly; this ensures that the dark and damp places in overgrown lawns (their preferred habitat) are eliminated.
- Some DIY methods may lessen the infestation: try citronella candles, attract the mosquito’s natural predators, and buy the best mosquito traps.
- Invest in preventative measures such as a mosquito misting system. The cost of a mosquito misting system can range from $2,000 to $3,500, but may be well worth the investment in the most heavily infested areas.
- Hire one of the best pest control companies, such as Orkin. Orkin has committed to donating $25 to the Red Cross for every mosquito control service purchased from May 22 to June 30, 2023, up to $250,000.
The Best Pest Control Companies Can Help
If you’re dealing with a mosquito infestation and you don’t want to wait for DIY methods to work, it may be time to hire a professional who can assess your problem and provide expert opinions and solutions. If there is no Orkin branch near you, reach out to other top companies such as Terminix, Aptive, and Ehrlich, among others. Check out the table below to see what each company has to offer, including deals on your first treatments.