Reviews Furniture & Decor Lighting

Light Up Old Glory: A Radiant Flagpole Light, Tested and Reviewed

If you want to create a nighttime flag display, a pole-mounted solar light is one of the best options. Find out how a best-selling model fared in hands-on testing.
Glenda Taylor Avatar
The Kayiune Solar Flagpole Light lighting the American flag on a dark background.

Photo: Glenda Taylor for Bob Vila

We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn More ›

At the center of many patriotic displays is a flagpole displaying the national flag and sometimes a state flag for added meaning. According to flag etiquette, the American flag shouldn’t be flown at night unless it’s illuminated. As part of a larger test to determine the best solar flagpole lights, I installed the Kayiune flagpole light on my own flagpole. 

The Kayiune flagpole light took top honors in our lineup, and for good reason—it creates a delightful dusk-to-dawn flag display, lighting up the flag uniformly without being overly bright or garish. Ahead, find out all the particulars about this outdoor solar light to see if it deserves a spot on your flagpole.  

Kayiune Solar Flagpole Light: At a Glance

Rating: 4/5

Flagpole Light Review

SPECS

• Brightness level: 4640 lumens
  • Charge time: 6 to 8 hours
  • Runtime: Up to 16 hours
  • Weather-resistance: IP65
  • Pole compatibility: 2 to 6 inches in diameter (up to 40 feet high)

PROS

• Casts a soft, uniform illumination that enhances the entire flag
  • Sturdy construction and weather-resistant IP65 rating makes it ideal for outdoor use
  • Installs on a range of pole sizes from 2 to 6 inches in diameter and up to 40 feet high

CONS

• Hose clamps make installation tedious—use a drill with a 7-millimeter (mm) socket to speed things along
  • Slightly pricier than other models we tested, but it creates a very nice look

Get the Kayiune solar flagpole light at Amazon for $129.99.

What is the Kayiune solar flagpole light?

The Kayiune flagpole light is an upward-shining solar light that attaches directly to the user’s flagpole beneath the flag. Unlike other upward-shining pole lights I tested that featured one or more solar floodlights, the Kayiune light incorporates 32 smaller LED lights on a horizontal ring that illuminate the flag uniformly all the way around. In all, this pole-mounted solar light delivers 4640 lumens of light intensity—enough to softly light up a flag mounted as high as 40 feet. 

The solar light is suitable for flagpoles as small as 2 inches to those as large as 6 inches in diameter, and once it’s attached, it’s there to stay. This was one of my favorite flagpole lights because it illuminated the entire flag, no matter which direction the wind was blowing.

Flagpole Light Review

Assembly and Installation

Installing the Kayiune light is a bit of a pain. It took me 35 minutes to assemble and install the light on my flagpole because it comes with four large hose clamps that attach the solar panel and light assembly to the pole. If you’ve ever used hose clamps, you know there’s no shortcut—you have to twist the fastener clockwise to tighten the clamp and twist it counterclockwise to loosen and remove it. Each twist of the fastener moves the clamp in tiny increments. 

The fasteners on these clamps take a flat-head screwdriver, but if you go that route, plan on adding another 15 minutes or so to the installation. I used a drill and a socket—the fastener takes a 7mm metric socket. It’s worth noting that this type of light isn’t designed to be put on and taken off; it’s meant to stay on the pole once installed, so this should be viewed as a one-time process.

Other than the hose clamps, assembling the various parts of the light and panel was easy. 

Flagpole Light Review

Brightness and Illumination

The Kayiune light wasn’t as bright as some of the others I tested, but I liked the overall illumination effect better. The 32 LEDs on the ring create a glowing and diffused effect that allows me to see the entire flag. With some of the other spotlight-type lights, I could only see a portion of the flag, especially if the wind was blowing. 

One thing I discovered was that I needed to install the light high enough that it didn’t shine in my eyes. On the first go-round, I’d installed the ring light about 5 feet above the ground, but that was too low. When it came on at dusk, I found the brightness of the lights distracted from the flag. I reinstalled it a couple of feet higher, solving the problem. While it doesn’t light up the landscape around the pole, it will complement other outdoor solar lights you may have. 

Flagpole Light Review

Outdoor Durability

Quality materials and sturdiness are top selling points for this light. The braces and arms that support the light ring are made from heavy-duty ABS (a thermoplastic polymer), and the monocrystalline silicon solar panel is thick and crystal clear, allowing the LEDs to shine through. 

I left the light in place on my flagpole for a few days, hoping for some rain to test out its advertised IP65 weather resistance. No such luck, so I sprayed it forcefully with the garden hose for about 10 minutes to see if any water would leak into the clear housing panel. After the light dried, I inspected the panel—no water had gotten in, and when night fell, the Kayiune lit up as usual. This particular solar light is a top option for those wanting to display their flag more frequently than only Flag Day and the Fourth of July. 

Flagpole Light Review

Charging and Runtime

I installed the Kayiune solar light on my flagpole on a sunny afternoon, positioning its solar panel in a south-facing direction. It received about 4 hours of sunlight on the first day, and it lit up as soon as night fell. It was still shining the next morning. 

The manufacturer says it takes 6 to 8 hours to charge the light fully, and that’s probably a good estimate, but I discovered it worked on fewer hours of charging. Ultimately, the time it takes to charge the panel and the duration of the light will depend on whether the days are sunny or cloudy and whether the solar panel receives direct sunlight or is partially blocked by trees or a building. 

Should you buy the Kayiune solar flagpole light?

Currently priced at $130 at Amazon, the Kayiune flagpole light is slightly more costly than some of the other solar flagpole lights I tested. Still, I found its uniform flag illumination quite appealing. This pole-mounted light is a good choice for those who want to create a nice-looking patriotic display that will showcase their flag all year. 

The light’s sturdy construction and water-resistant design make it suitable as a permanent nighttime display. Installation isn’t difficult, but it’s time-consuming, thanks to the use of large hose clamps. However, once the light is in place, the clamps hold it securely. 

I was impressed with the way this light illuminated my flagpole at night. It’s not super bright, but its soft, uniform light creates a respectful and distinctive look. However, those who are looking for a less expensive flag-lighting option may want to choose a top-down light, such as the Sunnytech solar flagpole light, which earned our best budget designation. 

Where to Buy the Kayiune Solar Flagpole Light

Get the Kayiune solar flagpole light at Amazon for $129.99.

Meet the Tester

Glenda Taylor is a product tester and writer specializing in the construction, remodeling, and real estate industries. She and her husband own a general contracting company, and Taylor is experienced in both residential and commercial building applications. She tests a wide range of power tools as well as other home improvement, household, and lawn-and-garden products.

Glenda Taylor Avatar

Glenda Taylor

Staff Writer

Glenda Taylor is a BobVila.com staff writer with a background in the residential remodeling, home building, and home improvement industries. She started writing for BobVila.com in 2016 and covers a range of topics, including construction methods, code compliance, tool use, and the latest news in the housing and real estate industries. 

WHY YOU CAN TRUST BOB VILA