We recently bid out to have our basement finished. After getting 5 estimates for various construction types, we opted to go with the Owens Corning system even though it was a bit pricier than other traditional systems.
The sales representative took very thorough measurements and called his foreman to price the project over the phone. The estimate came back in line with what we expected based on our research of the product. According to terms of our contract the GC received a 60% downpayment upon delivery of the material and the remaining 40% upon "completion to our satisfaction."
The project is nearing completion and has mostly gone smoothly. There are a few obstacles that need to be addressed, but we anticipate completion within another two weeks. Here is where the problem comes in, though.
Upon completion of framing the walls we discovered the GC had delivered TWICE AS MUCH MATERIAL as was necessary for the job! We brought this to his attention and he assured us this it was customary to order extra. When we asked him how that affected the pricing of our job, he replied that it "doesn't affect it at all," as they just brought extra from their warehouse. The GC returned the extra material to his warehouse two days later.
We're still not convinced, mainly because the sales rep told us that they ordered material from Owens Corning by the job. We have tried to have the sales rep come out and talk to us about it, but his "schedule is booked for the next two weeks."
The price seems right (about $38/sq ft), but we're still not sure if we purchased additional material for someone else's project. Outside of refusing to pay the remaining 40%, how do we get the sales rep to explain himself?
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries