Truss lift cracking walls????
There are many possible explanations for what is happening:
- Materials tend to shrink in cold weather
- If you have forced air heat it will dry the wood causing it to shrink unless you are using a humidifier
- Expansion/contraction from temperature changes inside the house
- Foundation settlement or movement
Foundation settlement or movement could be caused by:
- Excessive amounts of water getting under the footing softening the subgrade
- Soil under the footing drying out and shrinking during long dry spells
And many other possibilities too numerous to mention, but I would say the chances of foundation movement are far greater than truss lift unless you live in a very high wind zone or have very large roof overhangs.
The disclosure laws vary from state to state so I would suggest getting some legal advice from an attorney. If the previous owner was unaware of the water problem you may not have a case unless you can prove otherwise. Even a home inspector would not notice this problem unless he found water present during the inspection.
If you need assistance in making any of these repairs, contact me in the ‚ÄúExpert Advice‚Äù section.
[This message has been edited by GlennG (edited February 04, 2003).]
Just a thought?
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects