Latest Discussions : Tools & Workshop


01:22PM | 09/22/02
Member Since: 09/21/02
2 lifetime posts
I recently moved to the West coast of Florida. In some architectural plans I see referencing to a 2 x 4 DEADWOOD. Does any one know what DEADWOOD is refering to? Does it mean a surface area where one can nail to.


Mark Hammond

04:41PM | 09/22/02
Member Since: 05/09/01
246 lifetime posts
The term can be used for that as shown in this quote from a typical spec sheet, "Interior partitions 2x4 studs 16" on center spruce-pine-fir stud grade, kiln dried headers as engineered for each opening. Deadwood nailers, blocking and cap plates are included. Jack studs and headers for interior door openings, using one stud and one jack stud."
The only close explanation would be a mispelling of the word deadload meaning the weight a floor or roof can carry. Hope this helps......Mark Hammond


01:58PM | 09/25/02
Deadwood is a term used for any wood member that is not necessary as part of the structure itself. It carries no structural load and is used only as a spacer, nailer, fire block, etc. The term “deadwood” came about from the fact it is a wood member that carries no “live” load.



03:44PM | 04/01/18
Perfect explanation, GlennG!!!


07:47AM | 10/29/19
Yes it can be mailed to and caries no structural load yes Deadwood is just a nailer


09:28PM | 11/14/19
Deadwood is another term for a backer board for screwing drywall to. Can also be used for plumbing and electrical


10:30AM | 06/01/20
What about mounting a flat panel TV mount to deadwood?

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button