the water to fill the tank keeps running
any ideas what the problem is? To keep from wasting water we have to shut it off.
Thanks in advance
If it doesn't fill up properly, you should be able to see the flapper and see if it's not seating properly. Maybe the chain attached to the handle is getting in the way, or not allowing the flapper to seal properly? Or, if the tank does fill and then keeps flowing, the float's switch either has dirt in it that prevents it from cutting off, or the float's otherwise not returning to the water flow cutoff level.
As Hammerhead suggested, you can go to one of the home improvement stores (or even Wal-Mart) and buy replacement parts cheaply enough. Fluidmaster makes a standard replacement kit that includes flapper, float mechanism, and chain - it normally runs under $10 - and if you can use small hand tools, you can do it yourself in under 30 minutes. I hope this helps some - regards and good luck! Jim D/Heathsville, VA
Is the toilet running constantly or off and on? Lift the float(the baseball sized thing inside). Hold it to see if this solves the problem. If it did it could be the overflow pipe was cut too low or your float is too high. If you unscrew it that might give you a little leeway or you may have to bend it just a little.
Experts please correct me if I'm giving bad advice.
Toilet Keeps Running!
New Kit Installed by Plumber, but Toilet Sounds Like...
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects