Latest Discussions : Plumbing


07:10AM | 06/23/04
Member Since: 06/22/04
1 lifetime posts
My recently purchased mobile home has PB pipe throughout.

My home insurance states they will cover expenses if a pipe breaks [no breaks yet.]

My question is:

Should I pay for replacing the PB pipe myself, [$5,000.00] or wait till a break happens?

I am not attached to the contents of my home.

Thanks for your help,



07:53AM | 06/23/04
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
At the bottom of the page is a link to the BobVila FAQ. Links to the current PB Pipe settlement are located there. Or just use this:

Without a qualifying leak, you probably cannot file a claim. Based on your comments it does not sound like an investment of $5000 to replace your pipe is a priority for you. Another option would be to pay for a home warranty which would pay for repairs to piping as well as HVAC, mechanicals, and other breakdowns with a minimal dedeductible. See for this option.

From the FAQ:

The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify. Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button