Latest Discussions : Plumbing


05:09AM | 09/17/04
Member Since: 09/16/04
2 lifetime posts
We live in about a 45 yr old slab ranch. My drain pipe is buried underneath the slab and one day I noticed that my laundry and sink material was draining out of my foundation..yikes! We had a company come out to video the pipe and they found a crack (which the camera got stuck in). At this point the floor has been opened up and the pipe has a "split" on the bottom side... it seems to be the entire length of the pipe...(by the way the pipe is cast iron)...I am hoping that this is covered by insurance but how do you tell the difference between a "rotted" pipe and a "broken" pipe? The insurance will cover broken but not rot. I was also wondering if it may have split this past winter as it was so cold? Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks!


05:24PM | 09/17/04
I don't know how your insurance company will define broken and rotted. I would hope that split means broken and gap means rotted. I've not heard of temperature contributing to cast iron pipe failure. It is often the shifting of the ground.


06:24AM | 09/19/04
Member Since: 09/16/04
2 lifetime posts
thanks! The adjuster came by and says the pipe is broken and insurance will cover-yey!

Thank you very much!! :)

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button