Latest Discussions : Plumbing

three cats

08:31PM | 01/13/09
Member Since: 05/14/03
50 lifetime posts
Hello. We plan to update our 2 bathrooms this year. We won't be taking down walls, etc. We will replace the vanity, sink and toilet. That we know how to do (incl. a plumber, of course). My question is about our surround-tub/shower. It was put in in 1988, when our house was built (back in the days of light blue bath fixtures), our tub/shower was/is a tub/wall/ceiling deal. It is all one piece. Those at Home Depot told us they could remove it by sawing it in two. Fine. First Question: After the piece is gone, what will be left? Will I find drywall on all six services? The newer surround tubs don't seem to show the ceiling. What do people do now in terms of the ceiling if we choose to use a surround with tub/walls? If we choose to use a tub and then tile, is it simply a matter of having tile put on drywall? Or will be need to add drywall? It is hard to make decisions when we don't know is ordinarily under a surround tub that was put in in 1988. Any suggestions? What would be call to find out? A Carpenter? Thanks! Betty


06:37AM | 01/14/09
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
Most of those were Direct To Stud. There is nothing behind them.

For the ceiling you will need to drywall it. That is unless you put tile over it.


While many tiles, but not all, are water resistant the grout is not and over time water wicks behind it and the drywall rots and the tile falls off.

However there are systems that apply a water proofing membrane over the drywall and tile can be applied over them.

Kerdi is one such system.

BTW, HD does not have employees that do this kind of work.

They sub it out. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

I suggest that you work directly with a contractor that will be doing the work.

three cats

08:19PM | 01/14/09
Member Since: 05/14/03
50 lifetime posts
Thanks for your answer. I've noticed that the tub and surround wall at HD are about 6' tall. My previous covered the entire area - all 6 walls. If I use the "plastic" surround walls, would I put drywall above the surround part, including the ceiling, if I won't be putting any tiles around the tub? I want this room to be simple, using my accessories to make things pop. If I purchase a toilet, vanity, sink, tub/shower and surround walls, is a CONTRACTOR the person I should call? As opposed to a carpenter, or a plumber? You're right about HD -- sometimes you luck out, sometimes, no.



08:58AM | 01/15/09
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
First I want to make it clear that there are two types of "surround" wall systems.

The first are ones that are designed to be installed over drywall. THEY ARE CHEAP. And flimsy.

You want ones that are designed to mount directly to the studs. And one that is designed specifically for use with their tub. That makes a simple fool proof system.

I recently replaced a tiled shower with a Sterling Vickrell. It installed with only a little caulk and in a place where it does not show.

No place for water to trap or mold to grow.

I am sure that there are other good brands, but really like this system.

As to who to get to do it you really need to talk to the people and see if you can get a match.

A typical small plumber does most of their work runing lines and fittings and cleaning drains. Often in a job like this there is little if any of this needed.

But other plumbing contractors that have plumbing show rooms and a couple of people on their staff that do this kind of work.

A carpenter is general term. Some only do framing work. Other do mostly do finish work.

But someone that calls themself a remodeling carpenter would be able to do this. May be able to do the plumbing themself or contracting it out depending on how much changes are needed.

But the same person might call them self a (remodeling) contractor.


12:04PM | 09/27/19
Thanks for this exchange as we are also thinking of making some changes in our Levitt guest bathroom. My 1st question is to Betty: how did things turn out?

My other question is to Bill: we have a 2-pc surround which is just old and I want to replace it with new one. Is that a job for a contractor or a company like Master Fitter?


07:01PM | 09/28/19
Most likely there is no drywall behind the surround. I would not go with tile as there is a lot of maintenance involved. I prefer caulkless surrounds.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button