I live in an older home with an old cast iron (huge!) boiler. I have radiator/steam heat throughout the house. The boiler uses oil, but I have gas piped in for an upstairs heater and my dryer.
Long story short - the furnace is on it's last legs, so here's my questions:
1) How can I find out or figure out what is the best system for my home? Is there a website or websites that have things like that to help you decide?
2) should I stay with radiator/steam or swap to something else like forced hot air. Again - efficiency and heating ability?
3) Is there any advantages to sticking with oil or changing to gas (since I have both in the home) other than prices
4) Is a tankless better than sticking with a water tank? I've heard some are very costly because they constantly are heating your water up, not just when needed.
5) My upstairs is currently only gas (in the wall heater). The second floor was converted. Would it be beneficial to try to join the systems together?
Thanks so much for your help! I need to really start my research on the best system for me and am starting from scratch.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries