I have 1/2" particleboard over 1/2" plywood. Is it OK to install 3/4 oak hardwood over the particleboard? I was told by one installer he wouldn't do it because the nail gun would just blow holes in the particleboard. I was thinking that if the nails were 1/2" longer and he went into the plywood, it would hold. He said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks. The particleboard is under my partition walls, so it would be a big deal to remove it first.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would never recommend trying to install 3/4 over particle board. You're asking for problems, and throwing your money away. The only option, as far as i'm concerned, is to remove the particle board and add at least a 1/4" plywood to the existing 1/2" that is there. You're only other option is to install a floating floor, either laminate or real wood. Take some time and look at floating floors and decide if you really want the 3/4"...if you do, spend the extra time and do it right.
Thank you for your advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I'm going to take your advice. Also, I didn't realize there were floating hardwood floors. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Thank you again.
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects