It seems in the past I have seen a prefabricated window well (looks black and resembles the little yard ponds). We are interested in finishing our basement and basically the only type window well I have been able to find is the U-shaped metal one that has been around for years. It is necessary to be able to use these windows as potential escapes so the wells need to meet state and local codes. I would welcome any suggestions.
You need two means of egress if the basement is a bedroom. The stairs is one. A large window or walkout is the 2nd. The egresses must be big enough for a fireman AND GEAR to enter/exit the room.
Do the stairs leading into the basement from the first floor interior count as a means of egress. Or do the stairs have to lead to the exterior of the house?
window well drains
Flooding Basement Window Wells
Window Well Replacement
Egress window or walk out basement for basment remodel?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING