converting attic to master suite
I will say this - The BEST approach is to hire an Architect. They have answers to ALL the question. You really want the Builder to do the, well ..., the building work; NOT the design work. Architects do designing and Builders build. It's money well spent! Oh, if you only deal w/a Builder on this, you will find that Change Orders cost a LOT! The Builder will simply 'write down' what you want but as time goes on, you may change your mind on 'things'. This is where an Architect's expertise is money well spent. They spend a LOT of time 'up front' to be sure that what you want is 'doable', workable, affordable, and little-likely to change.
Go for it! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: A neighbor of ours is having a 20' x 12' addition put on a Colonial home. It's being built right next to the living room and is only 1 story high. It will have a cathedral ceiling w/a skylight and natural gas stove and bow window. The structure is 'sound'. Cost: $26,000. And no roof is being razed or raised! Also, this will probably cause you to increase the size of your HVAC System and Electrical System. Again, hire that Architect!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes