converting attic to master suite
I will say this - The BEST approach is to hire an Architect. They have answers to ALL the question. You really want the Builder to do the, well ..., the building work; NOT the design work. Architects do designing and Builders build. It's money well spent! Oh, if you only deal w/a Builder on this, you will find that Change Orders cost a LOT! The Builder will simply 'write down' what you want but as time goes on, you may change your mind on 'things'. This is where an Architect's expertise is money well spent. They spend a LOT of time 'up front' to be sure that what you want is 'doable', workable, affordable, and little-likely to change.
Go for it! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: A neighbor of ours is having a 20' x 12' addition put on a Colonial home. It's being built right next to the living room and is only 1 story high. It will have a cathedral ceiling w/a skylight and natural gas stove and bow window. The structure is 'sound'. Cost: $26,000. And no roof is being razed or raised! Also, this will probably cause you to increase the size of your HVAC System and Electrical System. Again, hire that Architect!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight