converting attic to master suite
I will say this - The BEST approach is to hire an Architect. They have answers to ALL the question. You really want the Builder to do the, well ..., the building work; NOT the design work. Architects do designing and Builders build. It's money well spent! Oh, if you only deal w/a Builder on this, you will find that Change Orders cost a LOT! The Builder will simply 'write down' what you want but as time goes on, you may change your mind on 'things'. This is where an Architect's expertise is money well spent. They spend a LOT of time 'up front' to be sure that what you want is 'doable', workable, affordable, and little-likely to change.
Go for it! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: A neighbor of ours is having a 20' x 12' addition put on a Colonial home. It's being built right next to the living room and is only 1 story high. It will have a cathedral ceiling w/a skylight and natural gas stove and bow window. The structure is 'sound'. Cost: $26,000. And no roof is being razed or raised! Also, this will probably cause you to increase the size of your HVAC System and Electrical System. Again, hire that Architect!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!